First off, I thought I already posted this so if this ends up being a duplicate please delete the other post.
Hello. I am brand new to the forum and looking for a bit of guidance. I am setting up a new 75 gallon tank with sump+refugium. I am currently leaning towards the GSP due to size and personality. However since this will a new tank I am open to ideas as long as the end result is a puffer as the centerpiece.
1. Ceylon/GSP...what is the difference? I am currently looking at the green spotted puffer that can live in full marine. I am getting a bit confused with the topaz/green/gsp/Ceylon....I am thinking of tetraodon fluviatilis.
2. I do plan on going full marine (open to fw, bw, sw) this a good puffer choice? Is there a potential better option? I really like the size and personality. So if another option is chosen I would like similar traits. For the 75 gal, how many gsp would you recommend or 1 and any tankmates(open to none as I know this seems to be debatable)
3. Sump + Refugium. Would you add copepods to refugium (pure marine block & chaeto). If so, how do you control population? Would you add any other animals to the sump/fuge?
4. Most importantly, I don’t have any great lfs near me besides Petsmart/petco. Is there a good reputable dealer that you would recommend to purchase the puffer from. Preferably that has been dewormed and such but not required. Regardless of type, I prefer to greatly increase odds of a healthy fish to start with.
I am very comfortable around aquariums but new to the puffer world. Since I am in the process of the tank build, I do not need to rush the decision and will be an after the new year decision to ensure my tank parameters are perfect before purchasing.
The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
2 posts • Page 1 of 1
- Mbu Puffer
- Posts: 1606
- Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:33 pm
- Gender: Female
- My Puffers: GSP, Ceylon, Porky
- Location (country): US
- Location: Sacramento, CA
Welcome and glad you’re doing research first! I have a gsp and a Ceylon... Ceylons are a lot harder to find though... I’d say 2 gsps for a 75 or one of each if you can add them at the same time I don’t think you need to worry about too many pods lol...
Never trust big puffers. The fingers you save may be your own. -RTR