figure 8 dying/need help

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
redcrayon
Puffer Fry
Location (country): united states

figure 8 dying/need help

Post by redcrayon »

I desperately need help ASAP I have gone to my local fish stores and have not been able to come up with a solution or a problem. My Figure 8 puffer is in a 10 gallon tank it is brackish water usually between 1.004 and 1.008 salinity. The perimeters are all fine no ammonia no nitrite and very little nitrates around 5 to 10 ppm. I was on vacation 2 weeks ago and when I returned I had an ammonia Spike. I took care of it immediately and my puffer was eating normal for 3 days. It's been 5 days now and he is extremely lethargic it seems as if he is having trouble swimming he lays on the ground but does not curl up he's refusing to eat for a week now even if I dangle food in front of his face. I give him freeze dried krill along with Pond snails I breed. There's been five ghost shrimp in the tank that he's ignored the past few days. I almost feel as if he is going blind cuz he bumps into things but does not scratch himself on things I do not think ich ist the issue. He has no visible markings of injury nor is he discolored he has a white belly. I have had him for about 4 months seeing him just lay there is killing me and knowing that he is dying regardless of what I have tried is killing me. I have Googled and found multiple cases of this happening but I have yet to come up with a reason or a solution any help would be appreciated thank you very much
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: figure 8 dying/need help

Post by Pufferpunk »

Have you tested the nitrite? How high sis the ammonia get to?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"