Figure 8 setup

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
zalinth
Puffer Fry
Location (country): US

Figure 8 setup

Post by zalinth »

I swear I read this somewhere and I have been searching for a couple of days now and can't seem to find it again. Deiced to create a account and ask been reading alot on this site and love it. So I have a two part question.

Quick story my son baby sitter bought a figure 8 puffer and didn't realize the requirements it takes to care for one and basically told me that since I all ready maintenance the tank for her weekly to just come get him when I have a proper home setup for it and I just happen to have a 20L tank sitting empty and getting close to starting a cycle on that tank.

So first question on M-W-F I bring him a raw frozen mussel I got at the local food store and when I crack open the shell, I then soak half the shell with most of the meat on it in water with a cap full of Nourish by Seachem. Is that the right vitamins I need, I can't seem to find anything else in town and this nourish doesn't say anything about b vitamins.

Second question I have is right now he is in 100% freshwater. Once the 20L is done cycling, do I add 0.2 salt each week and get it up to brackish level and then go get him and dip acclimate him or is it best to go get after the cycle when its still 100% freshwater and then start added salt weekly.

Thanks
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Figure 8 setup

Post by Pufferpunk »

[welcome]
1) I use Vita-chem for vitamin-soaking foods.
2) You can raise the SG with the fish in the 20g.
3) I suggest a varied diet: library/feeding/feeding-your-puffers/

library/puffers-in-focus/fig8/
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=19348
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
zalinth
Puffer Fry
Location (country): US

Post by zalinth »

Pufferpunk wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:33 am [welcome]
1) I use Vita-chem for vitamin-soaking foods.
2) You can raise the SG with the fish in the 20g.
3) I suggest a varied diet: library/feeding/feeding-your-puffers/

library/puffers-in-focus/fig8/
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=19348
sweet thanks! I will get vita-chem from amazon then. When I get him over here he will be getting a varied diet. Her son I think has some kind of OCD and can not keep anything frozen fish food wise in the fridge. In fact I tried keeping a box of frozen blood worms barred in the freezer thinking he wont find it. Needles to say went to pick up my son one day and she handed me 6 bucks and said sorry he found them and I was forced to pitch them cause he about lost it... :roll: So I have been having to drive all the way home to get food and then drive all the way back.

He does not like raw shrimp, I tried that he nibbled on it and then just ignored it. He does go crazy for clams, and small live worms but the problem with the worms is he gets bullied away from the other fish in the tank and they usually run off with the worms. So I found clams works best in this situation because they sink to the bottom and the other fish can't run off with it.
Iliveinazoo
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1xFigure 8
Location (country): UK

Post by Iliveinazoo »

Mussels are said to contain thiaminase which can cause a vitamin b1 defficiency but other foods like snails and cockles don't appear to. It's not bad to feed mussels, they are a good food, i just wouldn't recommend them as a staple.