Thinking about a F8

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
Lil' Puffy
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

Thinking about a F8

Post by Lil' Puffy »

Hello :D

I am thinking deeply about a f8 puffer. With some research I am starting to come up with plans and ideas and want to approve of them on here. Shall we get to it? ;)

1 - substrate - crushed coral
1.1) people recommend crushed coral or pool sand as a substrate. I would rather have cc because otherwise I think I will have trouble getting to an appropriate pH. What do you guys think there? What do you prefer? I'm open to all opinions even though I will most likely choose cc.
1.2) Would a 15lb pound bag of coral fill my tank? (20 long)
1.3) how much does cc raise my pH?

2 - live plants
2.1) my puffer is going to be in a 20 long (it's not cycled yet but will be) and I plan to overly decorate with bunches of live plants and cool caves and things. I heard Java moss and Java fern work well in brackish tanks but not many plants do. I want to do brackish anyway though as it will provide f8 the best life. Are there any other plants I could do? What about the following:
dwarf hairgrass
dwarf sagittaria
anacharis
anubias
hornwort
Water sprite
Cabomba
Cryptocoryne
Micro sword
Water wisteria
Vallisneria (it recommended americana but could spiralis also work?)
Pygmy chain sword (aka narrowleaf chain sword)
bacopa
cabomba
Yes/no answers with a short explanation is fine since that is a lot of plants haha

3 - feeding
3.1 okay so they have to be fed snails as juvis, that I know. But I also read that you can get food for them from your produce apartment in your grocery store? Is that true? Any recommendations there?

4 - hydrometers
4.1) any specific one to recommend? I don't wanna get something overly pricy but I want something good quality and easy to read.
4.2) how often should I use this hydrometer to check sg?

5 - other
5.1) anything else you have to recommend to a newbie at puffer tanks and brackish water?

Thank you in advance for your advice!

LP
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Thinking about a F8

Post by Pufferpunk »

Start here:library/puffers-in-focus/fig8/
I prefer aragonite sand over CC, because detritus can become trapped in CC, causing problems.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=14694
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=19348
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1658
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Lil' Puffy
Puffer Fry

Post by Lil' Puffy »

Thank you! I am leaning towards the sand route, but also leaning towards coral so we'll have to see!
Iliveinazoo
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1xFigure 8
Location (country): UK

Post by Iliveinazoo »

1. Crushed coral and aragonite sand are both forms of calcium carbonate so both will do the same job it's just that you might have to work a bit harder on tank maintenance if you use the larger grained crushed coral. Unfortunately i don't know how much is needed to cover your base but the packaging should give you some guidelines.

2. I haven't tried all the plants listed but i'll let you know my experience with those that i have tried:
Those currently in my tank are:
1. Crypt wendtii - most other forms of crypt such as becketti will die.
2. Bacopa Monnieri.
3. Saggitaria Subulata.
4. Tiger Lotus.
5. Aponogeton Crispus.
6. Vallis Americana. - Spiralis lived quite a long time but eventually died but this could have been more to do with my plant care rather than the plants tolerances.
7. Certopteris Thalictroides (water sprite).
8. Java moss - getting by rather than thriving.
9. Java Fern - geting by rather than thriving.

Those I've tried:
10. Hornwort - lasted a long time but always seemed to die during the summer so may not be able to tolerate higher temperatures.
11. lilaeopsis brasiliensis - absolutely no luck with this plant.
12. Crinum calamistratum - survives quite a long time before dying which makes me think that I'm not able to provide it with enough nutrients for long term health.
13. Anubias - others report success but I've tried 2 different species now without success so won't be trying again.

It's worth noting that i keep my tank between SG1.002-1.003 @ 25DegC.

3. I buy all my frozen food from the LFS. ANything with a shell plus bloodworm, mysis shrimp, brine shrimp, krill.

4. Refractometers are best but i just use an Instant Ocean swing arm hydrometer. And check SG at each water change.

5. make sure that the tank is fully cycled before adding your puffer, they are hardy but they will not tolerate ammonia at all, personally I would recommed a fishless cycle and also the addition of an instant cycling product when you do add your puffer.
Lil' Puffy
Puffer Fry

Post by Lil' Puffy »

Iliveinazoo wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:19 pm 1. Crushed coral and aragonite sand are both forms of calcium carbonate so both will do the same job it's just that you might have to work a bit harder on tank maintenance if you use the larger grained crushed coral. Unfortunately i don't know how much is needed to cover your base but the packaging should give you some guidelines.

2. I haven't tried all the plants listed but i'll let you know my experience with those that i have tried:
Those currently in my tank are:
1. Crypt wendtii - most other forms of crypt such as becketti will die.
2. Bacopa Monnieri.
3. Saggitaria Subulata.
4. Tiger Lotus.
5. Aponogeton Crispus.
6. Vallis Americana. - Spiralis lived quite a long time but eventually died but this could have been more to do with my plant care rather than the plants tolerances.
7. Certopteris Thalictroides (water sprite).
8. Java moss - getting by rather than thriving.
9. Java Fern - geting by rather than thriving.

Those I've tried:
10. Hornwort - lasted a long time but always seemed to die during the summer so may not be able to tolerate higher temperatures.
11. lilaeopsis brasiliensis - absolutely no luck with this plant.
12. Crinum calamistratum - survives quite a long time before dying which makes me think that I'm not able to provide it with enough nutrients for long term health.
13. Anubias - others report success but I've tried 2 different species now without success so won't be trying again.

It's worth noting that i keep my tank between SG1.002-1.003 @ 25DegC.

3. I buy all my frozen food from the LFS. ANything with a shell plus bloodworm, mysis shrimp, brine shrimp, krill.

4. Refractometers are best but i just use an Instant Ocean swing arm hydrometer. And check SG at each water change.

5. make sure that the tank is fully cycled before adding your puffer, they are hardy but they will not tolerate ammonia at all, personally I would recommed a fishless cycle and also the addition of an instant cycling product when you do add your puffer.
Thanks so much! Just now saw this!