Please help! Is this a nematode on my F8?

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
ZiggyAnderson
Puffer Fry
Location (country): USA

Please help! Is this a nematode on my F8?

Post by ZiggyAnderson »

Hello forum. I have what I have previously believed to be a very happy and healthy Figure 8. Are these bulges on his left side his stomach/intestines from over feeding or is this a nematode infestation? They look like stringy lumps, as if it could either be his intestines pushing against his skin or a very large nematode of approximately 2 or more centimeters in length.
Conditions: the water is brackish (1.006), the tank is a 13 gallon where he is kept alone (and he was scheduled to be moved to a 36 gallon in 2 weeks), weekly 50% water changes, he always eats very well (brine shrimp, grocery store shrimp, blood worms, and snails).
As stated, he has always seemed active, alert, happy. He has never displayed the dreaded dark belly markings of stressed puffers.
If it is nematodes, I realize there is little to be done. I just really care about this guy and want to know if I should expect his demise shortly or if I am being a hypochondriac for my fish.
The photos are 2 of his left side and one of his right for comparison.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Please help! Is this a nematode on my F8?

Post by Pufferpunk »

Looks well-fed to me.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
ZiggyAnderson
Puffer Fry

Post by ZiggyAnderson »

Thanks, Pufferpunk. I appreciate the quick reply! I've read all of your articles I can find relevant to brackish puffers and appreciate the help as a newbie. He has always had the "club" shape moreso than the streamlined look I see a lot of on the internet. I wonder if he just has a unique body type...
ZiggyAnderson
Puffer Fry

Post by ZiggyAnderson »

So today the lumps or bulges are in completely different places. It certainly looks like there is some type of worm under his skin. Just wondering, if it is a nematode moving around and feeding, how long does my little guy have, typically, before these nematodes do him in? I wish I vould cut them out, but he is such a small juvenileF8 that I don't trust myself to not just inflict ritual suicide on him. Is it contagious to other fish? He is a singleton but I was planning on moving him to a bigger tank with BB gobies. If he has a while and it isn't contagious, I will still do the move.
Iliveinazoo
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1xFigure 8
Location (country): UK

Post by Iliveinazoo »

Their bellies are just big sacks and the lumps will change position due to the way that the food lies in it.

I think that your puffer is a bit too well fed by the way. :)
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

^^^^^^^
Agreed--it's just their meal in there.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
ZiggyAnderson
Puffer Fry

Post by ZiggyAnderson »

Thanks. I will feed less frequently and less quantity. He just came to me fat like that, I thought maybe he was just genetically "big boned" (I know they don't have rib cages). Anyway, as stated, thank you for the replies, they have helped me calm down, and will hopefully save my fish from an overfed death.