F8 and Water Flow

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
sarahnya
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): United Kingdom

F8 and Water Flow

Post by sarahnya »

How much flow is too much flow for these guys.

I have a tank with an inbuilt filter which had a rather pathetic trickle flow, as fitting an external was difficult I am using a Fluval U4, however the flow on this for a 90 - 100 L (not 100% sure which) is pretty strong no matter what setting I put it on.

He seems to be able to get about in it but sometimes gets whooshed into the corner if he goes near the opposite end.

I just don't like to think of him not able to rest due to too much current and will downsize the filter if need be. I intend to get a much larger tank and stick my external 406 on it next year.
Iliveinazoo
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1xFigure 8
Location (country): UK

Re: F8 and Water Flow

Post by Iliveinazoo »

My figure 8 has never swam into the current of a filter outflow like other fish seem to do for exercise and in my smaller tank he/she would look for shelter from the strong flow from my canister filter so I'm led to believe that they do not like a strong current. My larger tank uses the same external but there is much more of the tank to explore outside of the flow so he/she is out a lot more. I now have 2 filters running and the other one has a spray bar which is set to agitate the surface, this ensures that there is increased oxygen transfer into the tank and the fish aren't blasted from both the right and left hand side.

For a Figure 8 tank I would always recommend filtration with a high turnover rate but with spray bars as opposed to a direct outflow.

If you don't have a spray bar then you may be able to strategically place a piece of décor to slow down the current a little bit but managing to avoid pushing the puffer into the décor itself!
sarahnya
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): United Kingdom

Post by sarahnya »

Okay thanks for that. I think reading the manual this filter has a surface agitation mode but you have to lift it partially out of the water, I'll take a look at it later. If that doesn't curb the flow I'll try getting a large rock to put in front of the output.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Lots-o-decor is the key to keeping puffers happy & entertained.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

Use big decor to tame flow hotspots and all will be good
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
ZiggyAnderson
Puffer Fry
Location (country): USA

Post by ZiggyAnderson »

My juvenile F8 actually does swim into the filter current sometimes and face "upstream." As stated, I think these fish are all different and have different needs. I don't plan on adding a powerhead, but he does seem to enjoy some occasional exercise.