Stocking help

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
Rlopez
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

Stocking help

Post by Rlopez »

Hi all, i was directed here from fishlore for help! I have a 75 gallon tank planted with hornwort and water sprite and lots of rock/ driftwood. I wanted to get some green spotted puffers but i think im going to go with figure 8's so i can keep the plants in low brackish water. My questiom is how many would be a good number for a 75 gallon? Could i add some gobys with them and how many? I want to make this a good setup and not make any mistakes.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Stocking help

Post by Pufferpunk »

[welcome]
I wouldn't expect those plants to fair well with any amount of salt.
http://www.thepufferforum.com/forum/vie ... =8&t=14694
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Rlopez
Puffer Fry

Post by Rlopez »

What about with this "brackish salt" i bought made by seachem? It claims that it provides the salt necessary for brackish water but without affecting live plants.
Rlopez
Puffer Fry

Post by Rlopez »

Pufferpunk wrote:[welcome]
I wouldn't expect those plants to fair well with any amount of salt.
http://www.thepufferforum.com/forum/vie ... =8&t=14694
Wait lol, i checked that article you shared and water sprite and hornwort are both on the list.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Ok then, I wasn't sure. ;)
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

Iliveinazoo
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1xFigure 8
Location (country): UK

Post by Iliveinazoo »

Rlopez wrote:What about with this "brackish salt" i bought made by seachem? It claims that it provides the salt necessary for brackish water but without affecting live plants.
Brackish water is basically diluted sea water therefore requires the same salt as a marine aquarium but at lower quantities and I'd be suspicious of anything stating otherwise. I've had a look at the 'brackish salt' on Seachem's website and can't see where it states the ingredients but I do note that the quantity of salt that they recommend for most fish (less than 2 tablespoons) might just make your tank SG1.002 if you were using marine salt and most hard water plants will be able to endure that salinity. The quantity that they advise for scats (4 tablespoons) might just increase your tank to SG1.005 and they are right that most tropical freshwater plants will struggle at this salinity anyway.

I use Seachem products but I think that the advice that they give on this product is irresponsible and I would urge anyone that looks at their Brackish Salt range to properly research the fish that they want and disregard the recommendations on the website.

If you would like a planted brackish tank then I would urge you to buy proper marine salt and maintain your aquarium between SG1.002-SG1.003 and there will be lots of plants that will thrive. Obviously your fish choice would have to be suitable for the lower end brackish system to match the plants.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Great info on BW plants here, under Brackish Tanks forum.