GSP not growing

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
Joyfulgrl
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

GSP not growing

Post by Joyfulgrl »

Trying to give as complete info as I can because I'm flummoxed and could use some help.

I've had him for about 2 years now. He's very fat and round but tiny, smaller than a golf ball. He was topical emaciated when I got him. He quickly filled out. But almost no growth other than becoming pleasingly plump.

He is in a 37 gallon aquarium. The temp is usually 76 to 78. I use a canister filter and rinse out the prefilter sponge dealio on the intake tube once a week when I do water changes. I usually clean one section of the canister filter every month or 3 and rotate which section I clean. Other than when I moved and tank had a bit of a small cycle the ammonia and nitrites are zero. Try to keep nitrates at zero. I do a5 gallon water change usually once a week.

I got him at walmart, he was in fresh water, of course. I slowly moved him to half strength marine using instant ocean. After 3 or 4 months I tried increasing salinity eventually to full marine. After a few months with zero growth I reduced it, eventually to about a quarter strength. This hasn't been rapid, this is over the course of two years. I've used a refractometer because I like the precision.
So that's the history of salinity.

He gets snails a few times a week. If I'm eating fish he gets a bit of raw fish. I'm allergic to shellfish but if room mates eat any I snag a small bit for puffer. Usually he gets frozen food twice a day. Mysis shrimp, brine shrimp, carnivore marine cuisine, sometimes blood worms. Crickets occasionally when room mate feeds their tarantula, I've offered live ghost shrimp and he's curious and head bops them and nudges them but doesn't even bother to take a bite though they seem to entertainhim for a few months and scavenge a bit of food that he misses.

He seems happy, rarely does the glass surfing thing unless it's feeding time or he's watching something outside the tank. He mostly just chills, explores the rock and wood, watches the ghost shrimp, waits for meal time like a puppy. After lights out he does some more puffer patrolling then retires to the back off the tank behind some rocks and he's done for the night.

Sorry so long but wanted to give anything that might be pertinent. It just seems weird that after two years there is almost zero growth, still slightly smaller than a golf ball. Any suggestions appreciated :) I'm open to whatever, if the 37 isn't big enough I could get a larger tank. Diet or salinity or why other suggestions are more than welcome. Thank you.
Joyfulgrl
Puffer Fry

Re: GSP not growing

Post by Joyfulgrl »

Last thing I cash think to add is his color is usually great. Vibrant metallic green on top and snowy white round belly. He gets muted and grumpy when I clean the tank. Usually he's dashingly handsome though.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

[welcome]
I could swear I just posted a long response to this.

It is possible the treatment it got at Walmart stunted the fish by overcrowding & malnutrition. Or it could just be a runt.

I do wonder how you can keep the nitrate close to 0 with only 5% weekly WC? What test kit are you using?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Joyfulgrl
Puffer Fry

Post by Joyfulgrl »

It's closer to 15 percent weekly. 5 gallons, not 5 percent. 37 gallon with about 30 gallons of water after substrate and live rock. 5 gallons out of 30 is more like 15%

Though I'm saying bad words because I hadn't thought about it. I usually have heavily planted or skimmed tanks so zero isn't weird :/
I'll try replacing them. :/
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Sorry, I misread 5g for 5%.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

Joyfulgrl
Puffer Fry

Post by Joyfulgrl »

Regardless you're right, I need to replace test kits. He eats and poops like a puppy. I'd just done 5 gallons because I'm lazy and it was convenient to mix up one bucket. I'll switch to 2 and see if it helps. Though I'm afraid that by now whatever went wrong whether Walmart.com fault or mine has him permanently stunted..

Move him to full strength marine so I can skim effectively or what now? :/
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

How about the 55g for the GSP with softies?

Joyfulgrl
Puffer Fry

Post by Joyfulgrl »

I'm dead set on having crypt jungle at the foot of my bed. Blah blah, genetic disorder, blah blah sick days lounging in bed. Blah blah soothing bedroom and aesthetics important. Critters are of course paramount to that but they don't really care where their tanks go. the least expensive option for moving puffer to full marine would be the 50 former lps tank anyway so I could do that. He's freaked out at bright lights before, he'll acclimate if I do it slowly though? Iguess, duh, other people in here have done it.. Metal halides ok or something not so intense? What would puffer preference be? And that's a vote for full marine I take it?
Thank you for the help and this resource.

I sense tank juggling in my future. I mainly like plants, critters with a fair bit of space to stretch out and do their thing, and views to get lost in when I don't feel well. .. I'm restarting my fern collection on the window to the side of my bed.. and to have a soothing wall of crypts at the foot of my bed would be wonderful. Falling asleep and waking up surrounded by terrestrial and aquatic ferns and aquatic crypts would be wonderful ya know? I would scrap it if I don't have a viable option for making puffer happy and healthy though.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

You don't want the salt creep near your bed, either.