experience of full marine tank mates for GSP

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
pokeystar
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: Fahaka aka Mr Big Puff
2 GSP Pickle and Noodle
My children name the fish
Location (country): Ireland

experience of full marine tank mates for GSP

Post by pokeystar »

Hi,

My two LFS rescue GSP puffers are now very healthy and active in a salinity of 1.007 and rising. I am starting to get excited about the move to full marine with them. I am considering a range of new possibilities and maybe a new tank rather than the 280ltr they were destined for. My question here is what fish have people successfully ket with GSP in full marine? I understand its risky regardless, that personality and age are big factors. I have a Fahaka kept with Ancistrus for over a year. They act as a helpful clean up crew for the tiny bits of waste food and so far no aggression (he's about 5inch). I am thinking along the same lines with the GSP?
Hillehaus
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: 1 GSP.
Location (country): United States

Re: experience of full marine tank mates for GSP

Post by Hillehaus »

Before i swapped out my GSP for a Valentini, I had it in a 40g Breeder with 2 clownfish. They got along well. Here is the caveat though...the clownfish were about an inch long. The GSP was about an inch an a half. They were dwarfed by the size of the tank and rarely came in contact with each other.

I think 280L is something like 73 gallons? I have a friend that has a solo GSP in a 80(?) gallon marine tank that is about a 4-5 inch blimp. It actually looks really good as just a solo, for what it's worth. I'm not sure what size tank you would need for 2 GSP though. Someone else can answer that i'm sure.
zombiefetus
Fahaka Puffer
Location (country): Illinois, USA

Re: experience of full marine tank mates for GSP

Post by zombiefetus »

I kept a GSP with a clownfish in a 29 gallon tank for several years and they did really well.

http://i.imgur.com/WwFswt2.png
(^oops, domain expired! Current url is: http://greenspottedpuffer.webs.com)