Krill Junkie....

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
River4R
Puffer Fry
Location (country): USA

Krill Junkie....

Post by River4R »

So, since I bought my GSP a little over a month ago he's been eating frozen krill exclusively; what he was being fed in the pet store. I tried introducing small snails but he seems very uninterested. I decided to not feed him for a few days and today I went to the pet store and picked up about an inch and a half crayfish with very small pincers. I also tossed in a small ghost shrim and a tiny crayfish.

Upon introducing to tank "Taco" immediately went after the larger crayfish. There was a tussle and the crayfish fought off Taco. Since then the crayfish has made himself at home, including taking over Taco's coveted cave. Taco now avoids the cocky crayfish. He also eyeballs the ghost shrimp but takes no action.

I'm hell bent on weaning him off the junk food krill as he really needs to start hunting and chomping on some hard food!!

Granted it's only been a few hours and who's know how things will work out when the lights go out tonight; anyone have any ideas? And what's the long term outlook on keeping this darn cray cray in the tank??

Thanks
pokeystar
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: Fahaka aka Mr Big Puff
2 GSP Pickle and Noodle
My children name the fish
Location (country): Ireland

Re: Krill Junkie....

Post by pokeystar »

Sounds like the crayfish maybe too large for this puffer. If he can fight him off I would be concerned that he may injure the puffer when hunting at night.
hadla
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: 2 gsps and a big Stars and stripes
Location (country): California

Post by hadla »

Have you tried fresh shrimp or scallops or live worms? Mine eats live black worms but if you can't find any, Walmart sells fishing bait worms. Just check the container before you buy it to see that they're alive.
Never trust big puffers. The fingers you save may be your own. -RTR
River4R
Puffer Fry

Post by River4R »

The crayfish made it through the night so I'm going to remove him today. I've fed Taco beetles I've caught outside before and he seems to love them. Also, redworms after a good rain.

I'm going by Wal Mart today and pick up some more worms so I can have them on hand. I'll swing by the supermarket and see about picking up some shrimp too.
River4R
Puffer Fry

Post by River4R »

Removed the larger cray cray and took him back to the LFS. When I returned the smaller cray and the ghost shrimp were missing....and Taco had a big belly :D

Guess I overestimated his ability to handle a larger cray.....Taco is only about 2 full inches.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Yes, they can tackle a cray almost as large as themselves!
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"