GSP - Quick SG Clarification?

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
Cyn
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: GSP
Location (country): USA

GSP - Quick SG Clarification?

Post by Cyn »

According to the library here on SG it says a cup per 5 gallons to raise .005? So for a 30 gallon that would be 6 cups of salt a week until it reaches full marine?
Right now my new GSP is at 1.007 and he's about 2.5 inches long. The LFS keeps the new arrives in fresh water then in brackish when they are available to purchase.
One last question, when my tank is fully marine would I be able to keep live rock in there?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: GSP - Quick SG Clarification?

Post by Pufferpunk »

That was written as ONLY a rough estimate. You must do your own calculations: http://www.thepufferforum.com/forum/vie ... =8&t=19348
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Welch4
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1 GSP
Location (country): USA

Post by Welch4 »

+1 to PP and yes go to full marine with live rock and a skimmer. Then you get to play around with corals.
Forget other advice about puffers you don't hear here - Pufferpunk
Hillehaus
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: 1 GSP.
Location (country): United States

Post by Hillehaus »

You can and should add live rock. Your fish will love cruising around it/hiding in it, plus it'll make the tank look more "ocean-y". <==scientific term.

In addition to live rock and a skimmer, I would highly recommend going straight to a system with a sump. I chose not to because, hey...I can make it work without one...well, now I just spent the money to upgrade to a sump. It would have been a lot easier to design the system that way in the first place.

Corals are evil. Avoid them at all costs. They have devastating effects on bank accounts. Sarcasm aside, the options that open up when you hit full marine are staggering. Mine didn't stay FOWLR very long before my first mushrooms and zoa's. next came the toadstools, more zoa's, hammers, frogspawn, montipora, etc...