Please help me identify - LFS calls White Spot Puffer

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
sayersweb
Puffer Fry
Location (country): USA - Sugar Land, Texas

Please help me identify - LFS calls White Spot Puffer

Post by sayersweb »

Hello,

This is my first post here on the Puffer Forum.

I currently have 4 aquariums: 300, 200, 55, & 20. Yesterday we were at a local (reputable) fish store and my girlfriend fell in love with a puffer (I'm only slightly jealous). In all the years I have kept fish, puffer is not one I have any experience with. Talking with the sales person this White Spot Puffer is freshwater, will do okay with other semi-aggressive fish as long as they are not too small. The puffer is maybe 4 inches and they said it is nearly full-grown and that it should do fine in the 55 gallon with 4 electric blue acaras, 4 small geos, three Roseline Sharks and some loaches.

Got it home and acclimated, started searching the web for White Spot Puffer and came up with nothing. Called the LFS today and they said they were new, fist time they had ever gotten them in, and that they know very little about them. So far it seems fine, although I noticed today that all 6 small albino bushy nose plecos have been eaten, only some skeleton remains are left. Both the Acaras and the Puffer are new additions to the aquarium, so it could have been either.

Sorry for the poor image quality:
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Please help me identify - LFS calls White Spot Puffer

Post by Pufferpunk »

[welcome]
ug.php/v/PufferPedia/Brackish/T_Fluviatilis/
Care & feeding is exactly the same as this fish, but it requires a larger tank. I'd go with a 55g.
library/puffers-in-focus/an-introductio ... d-puffers/
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
sayersweb
Puffer Fry
Location (country): USA - Sugar Land, Texas

Post by sayersweb »

Thank you so much for the ID! I will keep an eye on how it interacts with its tank-mates. May end up dedicating the 55 to the puffer.
hadla
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: 2 gsps and a big Stars and stripes
Location (country): California

Post by hadla »

Welcome, and they think that a Ceylon puffer can live in freshwater with the other fish you listed?! Sure if you don't mind losing the other fish and shortening the puffs life! Good for you to do research even if it's after you bought it :P
Never trust big puffers. The fingers you save may be your own. -RTR