Algae eater for brackish puffer tank

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
bigpuff
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): United States

Algae eater for brackish puffer tank

Post by bigpuff »

I've decided to set up a 55g brackish tank for Figure 8 puffers but I've been told I need something to control the algae or it'll get out of hand. What would work as an algae eater in this tank? I was thinking about putting the salinity at 1.004 but I'd be willing to go a little lower to accommodate.
Welch4
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1 GSP
Location (country): USA

Re: Algae eater for brackish puffer tank

Post by Welch4 »

1.004 is barely brackish. There's not much for suitable brackish algae eaters. You could go with a handful of nerites. The usually keep their shells close enough to the glass to avoid being picked at.
Forget other advice about puffers you don't hear here - Pufferpunk
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Depends on the type of algae & how agressive your puffers are. Molies ate all my hair algae but eventually, the puffers ate the molllies.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
bigpuff
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by bigpuff »

Would you say an algae eater is necessary? The guy at the fish store (locally owned, not a petsmart or anything, very experienced guy) told me too much algae would grow without one. Said a pleco would be ok in 1.002ish water.
Iliveinazoo
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1xFigure 8
Location (country): UK

Post by Iliveinazoo »

bigpuff wrote:Would you say an algae eater is necessary? The guy at the fish store (locally owned, not a petsmart or anything, very experienced guy) told me too much algae would grow without one. Said a pleco would be ok in 1.002ish water.
They aren't necessary, as long as you have a good amount of water flow and your lighting isn't too strong then algae growth will be limited so that it doesn't really become visible on the glass and substrate unless you haven't cleaned the tank in a couple of weeks. Algae will always build up but good maintenance will keep it at bay.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Said a pleco would be ok in 1.002ish water.
Please do NOT listen to so called "experts"! Plecos are softwater fish--the opposite of BW.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Snailygal
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Bodhi - Figure Eight Puffer and Ghost Shrimp in 20G brackish tank
Chickpea - Female Dwarf Puffer and Ghost Shrimp in 20G freshwater tank
Also 20G freshwater Community tank
1-5g Pond Snail tank (food farm)
2-10g Ramshorn Snails tanks (food farm)

Post by Snailygal »

I have had a brackish tank with just one F8 and some ghost shrimp for almost a year with no algae problems at all. Maybe that's because it's still a relatively new tank, but I also have LED lighting and some live plants in there which help eat the nutrients needed by algae to grow. I've tried many different plants but it's difficult to grow in brackish water. Java Ferns, Java Moss, Banana plants and Marimo Moss Balls do quite well though!

Like the others have said, regular water changes, low lighting and good maintenance help the most with controlling algae. I don't think you NEED an algae-eater if you do the work and have a couple live plants to help out.