What do you feed your figure 8?

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
bigpuff
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): United States

What do you feed your figure 8?

Post by bigpuff »

I've read the care guide on this website and seen the list of foods they can eat. I'd prefer not to keep live food and to be able to freeze it and then feed it to them. What could I do this with and how? It says something about defrosting it in water and adding vitamins. Can anyone elaborate? Help would be much appreciated!
G S P Freak
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Figure Eight Puffers, Binks (29G)
Dwarf puffers, named "He-Puffer" (male) and She-puffer (female) (10g)
Non-puffer:
1 Red-eared slider, Tortuga (female)(100g)
1 rubber lip pleco
Location (country): USA, Indiana

Re: What do you feed your figure 8?

Post by G S P Freak »

I feed mine calamari, clams on a half shell, bloodworms (a treat), and fresh live snails.
Foods like these are OK, and there are many more acceptable alternatives. I defrost in a small shot glass with tank water in it, dont feed your puffer frozen food! I made this mistake before and the poor guy chipped a tooth! (probably also not good for their bodies to receive a sudden jolt of freezing..)

Vitamins are optional, but arent expensive and can be found for fish under the name vitachem I believe.
No human being, however great, or powerful, was ever so free as a fish.
-John Ruskin-
"I have to laugh when people call fish-keeping a hobby, if anything, it's a science... and for some, an obsession." - Me
bigpuff
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by bigpuff »

So could I get away with not feeding them snails?
G S P Freak
Green Spotted Puffer
Non-puffer:
1 rubber lip pleco

Post by G S P Freak »

Absolutely! I haven't fed mine snails for months, as I have too many tanks to care for already.
Clams on a half shell, frozen snails, small pieces of various shellfish all work fine.
-John Ruskin-
"I have to laugh when people call fish-keeping a hobby, if anything, it's a science... and for some, an obsession." - Me
bigpuff
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by bigpuff »

So you just buy a bunch of clams on a half shell (and freeze them, I'm guessing?) and that should suffice for most of their diet? How much do you feed them a day (I'm planning on starting with 3 F8's)?

Also could you tell me how often you find yourself having to clip their beaks? Can't find much specific info on that online so it would be great to hear from someone who owns them!
G S P Freak
Green Spotted Puffer
Non-puffer:
1 rubber lip pleco

Post by G S P Freak »

The ones I buy come frozen and already soaked in vitamins (hikari is the brand name I believe, but store bought clams are just as acceptable..) You should feed enough for all the puffers to have slightly larger then pre-meal bellies about once a day to once every 2-3 days depending on the puffers size (larger fish = slower metabolism), but if they look like fat little balloons, you fed them too much!. Smaller clams are better, you need something they have to bite the shell to get the meat off of, if its too big they'll just rip the meat off the shell and be on their merry way =P. I also give my f8 a pea with the skin removed once a week, and an occaisonal peice of watermelon.
I have never had to clip my f8 teeth, as the clam shells and snails wear it down over time.
-John Ruskin-
Welch4
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1 GSP
Location (country): USA

Post by Welch4 »

+1 to the above comments. Additionally you want a varied diet. It would be better to have multiple frozen foods to cycle through. Always vitamin dose any foods you are feeding them
Forget other advice about puffers you don't hear here - Pufferpunk
Hillehaus
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: 1 GSP.

Post by Hillehaus »

If I'm making shrimp for dinner, I also like to give mine the Shrimp tails. Raw, mind you...They'll work hard to get the meat out.