Green Spotted Puffers

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
Wake
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

Green Spotted Puffers

Post by Wake »

Hello all.

Decided to get back into owning puffers since my first GSP died due to ignorance over cycling [nitrite spike].

Having a 55-gallon freshwater tank for well over a month now, I bought three little GSPs.

They're adorable, and I've been learning a lot over the months. Moe, Larry, and Curly are doing fine.

Crickets, bloodworms, carpenter ants, brine shrimp, snails, ghost shrimp, and raw shrimp they adore.

They live with other fish, but I put a priority on the puffers. As their tank slowly transitions to brackish and then saltwater, I'm planning for the puffers to grow and prey on the other fish. I invited 12 ghost shrimp to play with my puffers. Only one shrimp sans three feet now lives in a burrow under a rock. I suspect shrimp can and do suffer from PTSD.

Bought 26 medium-sized crickets today. They mauled to death the five I dropped in. I'm so proud.

Fat little voracious things. I reward them with a large, plump shrimp... hand-fed. :)

I'd like to talk more with you guys about these little guys here in the future.
Pufftastic
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: 1 x C travancoricus
Have also kept:
T biocellatus
Location (country): California USA

Re: Green Spotted Puffers

Post by Pufftastic »

I'm sure you're already aware of this, but your puffer Stooges (love the names!) will need a much bigger tank when they grow up. :)
Yo ho, yo ho, a puffer's life for me.
eieio
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: *
The Congo Puffer:
"olivia"
and.......
The DP:
"cream puff"
RIP cream puff :-(
Location (country): U.S.A.

Post by eieio »

Wake wrote:Hello all.

Decided to get back into owning puffers since my first GSP died due to ignorance over cycling [nitrite spike].

Having a 55-gallon freshwater tank for well over a month now, I bought three little GSPs.

They're adorable, and I've been learning a lot over the months. Moe, Larry, and Curly are doing fine.

Crickets, bloodworms, carpenter ants, brine shrimp, snails, ghost shrimp, and raw shrimp they adore.

They live with other fish, but I put a priority on the puffers. As their tank slowly transitions to brackish and then saltwater, I'm planning for the puffers to grow and prey on the other fish. I invited 12 ghost shrimp to play with my puffers. Only one shrimp sans three feet now lives in a burrow under a rock. I suspect shrimp can and do suffer from PTSD.

Bought 26 medium-sized crickets today. They mauled to death the five I dropped in. I'm so proud.

Fat little voracious things. I reward them with a large, plump shrimp... hand-fed. :)

I'd like to talk more with you guys about these little guys here in the future.
don't know what kind of other fish you have in there, but salinity might be cruel to subject them to, and they are not good food for GSPs
do the right thing
"I plan ahead. That way, I don't have to do anything right now!"
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

GSPs are not piscivores, they should not be fed fish.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Wake
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

Post by Wake »

I'll relocate the fish to a new tank.

Saving up for a 150-gallon tank once they go full marine.

Dropping crickets in for them and they're like little puppies with beaks that tear them all the hell apart. :D

I can't get enough of these adorable fish! Their personalities are wonderful. :)
itlagswrx
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Green Spotted Puffer (Pod)
Leopard Toby Puffer (Igor)
Location (country): Sonoran Desert

Post by itlagswrx »

I feed my two GSPs bloodworms and snails (need to get more freebie snails ATM). Haven't tried crickets... lol... My one GSP actually will eat pellet food. It's quite odd.