New F8 Tank, need some advice

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
Ratbert
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Malaysia

New F8 Tank, need some advice

Post by Ratbert »

(Posted similiar thread before but after i tried editing my first post, it disappeared, so am reposting)

Hey all, i FINALLY got my 3x1.5ftx1.5ft tank. And i've recently finished aquascaping, so now the tank is cycling. The tank size is about 50gallons, but after deducting substrate and decorations etc. i think nett water amount will be around 40-45gallons. Am currently using a Fluval 406 for filtration system. Originally thought of going with a refugium, but figured perhaps this tank wouldn't be ideal for it due to its size. I am also starting this tank as a FW tank, then i'm gonna slowly move it to low end BW.

I'm planning to make this mainly a F8 tank. and am looking for stocking ideas.

Current plan i have is 4-6BBGs, 1-3 Hillstream Loaches (Hong Kong Pleco) and 1-3 F8 Puffers.

I know the BBGs shouldnt be a prob. But i am wondering if a setup like mine would be able to accommodate 3 F8s? I was initially thinking of just having a singleton, but with the amount of hiding places, i'm worried i might not see the little guy much and preparing such small feeding portions is gonna be rather problematic. And with 2, i'm worried one might just end up constantly picking on the other. With 3 i think they'll be able to establish a pecking order, but i'm not sure if the tank size and setup is enough for 3. So do let me know your thoughts and advice :D

Pufferpunk has mentioned to me that Hillstream Loaches might not be ideal since they are cold water fish and may become victims of the F8s. Thanks for the tip!

As for cleanup crew, I don't have any ideas yet. i hear mollies might be a candidate for algae eaters. But i also plan to dump a bunch of ghost shrimp now and then to clean up the tank and pick off the algae. Would appreciate if anyone can let me know if there are any other suitable algae/bottom feeder type fish .

I attached a pic to this post so u guys can get a somewhat clear picture of what my tank is like. Looking forward to being a part of TPF! :D

Ratbert
Puffer Fry

Re: New F8 Tank, need some advice

Post by Ratbert »

Oh also, if anyone could let me know whats the maximum amount of F8s and BBGs my tank can accommodate, that would be awesome too coz i'd sure love to know that the benchmark is.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

That tank is <40g, without decor/substrate. I'd skip on those Borneo loaches. Not only are they sedentary--prime pickings for puffer teeth--they are a coldwater species. A trio of F8s would be great in there!
library/puffers-in-focus/fig8/

To post an image, you must upload to a storage site, like: www.photobucket.com & then link it here.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Ratbert
Puffer Fry

Post by Ratbert »

I'm guessing the maximum amount of F8s for my tank would be about 4? so 3 should be quite safe....

As for BBGs, u reckon i could up it to 10?
martini57
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): US

Post by martini57 »

I think some black mollies would be pretty in there, and they would help with the algae to an extent. I would also look into a knight goby, although he might eventually eat the bumblebee gobies depending on his size. BUT if you had 4 mollies( 1 male 3 females), then the knight goby would just eat all the fry.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

My F8s killed everything.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"