New addition to the house

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
Hillehaus
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: 1 GSP.
Location (country): United States

New addition to the house

Post by Hillehaus »

Hello,

Last month I inquired about the viability of keeping a GSP for 1-2 years in a 29g tank. I just wanted to introduce the new little guy/girl to the forum. First, the home:
The photo of the tank was from before the GSP arrival when it was a BB Goby/F8 tank. The Whisper HOB filter has been replaced with an Aquaclear HOB. An Eheim 2213 (I think) canister is also set up on the tank. The driftwood has been replaced and additional rock (fake) have been out in its spot. I was afraid the drift wood was going to rot as the salinity increased. Oh, and the thermometers have been secured as well...One question, is it worth ditching the bubble stone in the corner? My F8 loved it and would play in the bubbles but, since he's been rehomed and the GSP has taken over the living space, he/her could care less about it. I hate how it promotes evaporation.

Next, the GSP. Tentatively names Sausage, by my wifedue to his shape. Sausage came into the LFS as FW and is currently at 1.006 and rising. He/she has been treated for IP and seems to be adjusting well to the tank. Certainly is not camera shy...
ImageImage

Next order of business is to (slowly) set up the 40gal breeder (marine setup) for when its size increases a little more.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: New addition to the house

Post by Pufferpunk »

Nice, love the background!
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Welch4
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1 GSP
Location (country): USA

Post by Welch4 »

Nice setup. Yes you should take the airstone out. Outside of increased evap it will cause unnessesary spray leading to more salt creep and etching of your canopy. It would be a good idea to add a power head or two. If you do aim one towards the surface for agitation. Aldo with the aquaclear on a tank with sand i would highly recommend getting the fluval edge prefilter. They are only 2 or 3 bucks and i had not found them untill after I burnt out three different motors. I now run these on all of my aquaclears.
Forget other advice about puffers you don't hear here - Pufferpunk
Hillehaus
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by Hillehaus »

@Welch4: Thanks for the advice. I actually just put the prefilter on 2 weeks ago (after the picture was taken) when I re-scaped the tank. I'm glad the air stone can go. I cant stand them, they are a huge eyesore. Plus, by removing it, i'll have an extra plug available to hook up the powerhead I have. The powerhead is 295gph. Combined with my aquaclear HOB and the spray bar from the Eheim, will this be enough circulation? I'm worried about overkill since the blood worms I place in the tank already zip around in a counter clockwise current that covers most of the tank.

@Pufferpunk: Glad you like the tank. I always wanted to try a 3D background. They are a bit pricey and i don't know it I'd buy one again but, they look very nice. It is probably all in my head with me trying to justify the cost but, all the fish that have passed through that tank seem less stressed. I'm kind of a perfectionist on my tanks. I like to build them slowly to make sure they are equipped exactly how I want them. It often results in me having empty tanks sitting around for months...
Welch4
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1 GSP
Location (country): USA

Post by Welch4 »

When I had my gsp in a 29 I was running two koralia nanos i think 250s and a koralia 450 (and an ehiem g65 with sparybar). I usually shut my powerheads off during feeding. The added flow will provide a workout for your puff. One thing to keep in mind is to aim the powerheads so that you have a couple areas of lower flow for your puff to rest/sleep.
Forget other advice about puffers you don't hear here - Pufferpunk
Hillehaus
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by Hillehaus »

Thanks, I will attempt to achieve this when I get home tonight. Couldn't hurt to pick up another PH, either.