Veggie puffer

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
spamer80
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Nigroviridis, Dwarf, Colomessus, Porcupine.
Location (country): Russia

Veggie puffer

Post by spamer80 »

Hi to all again. My Fatty GSP suddenly started to like growing Anubias Nana Golden. Now the poor plant is covered with bullet holes. WTF?
Also my second puffer which was discussed here became greedy and fat like a swimming air bomb. He does not allow anyone to eat before get full. How make him slim again without getting to separated tank?

Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Veggie puffer

Post by Pufferpunk »

Eventually the anubias won't handle the SG required for your GSP, so it'll have to be removed anyway.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

GSPs are not as dedicated to live plants as some BW/SW puffers, but particular individuals I have kept have been know to eat FW plants. The Anubias group in the wild tend to be from rapis or other high-spray areas and seasonally emerse but not dry-land plants. I have not kept that particular cultivar, but most of them for me grow fastest as emerse but very high humidity or misted plants.

I have also - many decades ago (before I knew better) - kept GSPs in FW tanks. Those never really grew to their proper captive size, but I am not certain whether their stunting was from insufficient tank size or from the water in which they were kept.

So, what is the tank size, and what is the water parameter profile?

It does appear that there are dominance issues between the fish, and that both are over-fed. It might be a good idea to reconsider co-housing these two fish, or at least to give them larger quarters which could be divided if necessary. Obesity is life-shortening for GSPs, as with most other puffers.
Where's the fish? - Neptune
spamer80
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Nigroviridis, Dwarf, Colomessus, Porcupine.
Location (country): Russia

Post by spamer80 »

The tank size is 300l, I can't give them a larger one because I have no space in room for larger tank, but I'm ready to up salinity even to the marine if they need it, the current tank setup is ready for it and require almost no changes at all. But at the current state they seems to be ok in fw with 2 table spoon of marine salt per 50l. Water is PH 7.9, KH 9, GH 11, everyday 15% automatic water changes.
http://youtu.be/xrKvyAakU1c
http://youtu.be/d2TQ8Xk59BA
fishbone
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Israel

Post by fishbone »

hi,
I have the same problem with my Figure 8 puffers (6 of them), bullet holes all over the plants especially on new leafs.
Is there something to be done?