2 Figure 8s in a 46 gallon bow

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
goldielocke76
Fahaka Puffer
Location (country): California, USA

2 Figure 8s in a 46 gallon bow

Post by goldielocke76 »

Hey all,

I have Luau, a figure 8 puff in a 36 gallon bow to himself, but I told Heather that I'd take Figgy since I am in California. I plan on setting up the plumbed 46 gallon bow that I got a few months ago, and putting them in there at the same time. i am hoping that it's big enough for the both of them, and that the new surroundings will be enough to reset territories...

How much flow should Figure 8s have? I can't remember. I planned on putting in a fresh water fuge on the tank, with some bio balls, and was looking into a return pump. I currently have a 110 AC running on Luau's tank, and I was going to keep that as well, thinking about adding another one. (I know it's not necessary, but that's probably mostly my OCD talking). But with the two ACs, I am hoping to get a smaller danner mag so I don't wear them out with too much flow. I was looking at a danner mag 1.9 that has a flow rate of 100gph at a head loss of 5 feet. If that is too much flow there's always the mag 1.5 with the headloss gives my 30 gph. I wanted to see what you all thought. :)

Any advice or information, please feel free to post!
5.5g: Pond snails
5.5g: Red Cherry Shrimp and Rams
10g: PZ the Pee Wee (DP), Ghost shrimp, Otos x3
36g: Luau the F8, Zebra nerites x8, sometimes a herd of ghost shrimp for food
60g: Perches the starry blenny, 1 watchman goby Snaps the l.c. hermit, 2 emerald crabs, 1 red crab, 2 turbos, 7 asteas, 2 nerites, 2 clown gobies and 2 firefish gobies (upgrading to a 90 gallon reef)

RIP Yoshi, you are dearly missed <3
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Re: 2 Figure 8s in a 46 gallon bow

Post by RTR »

F-8s like current but not at the level of white water rapids. Maximizing current along the bow is ideal, with some sheltered areas further back for resting/sleeping in lower current. Be sure you have plenty of breaks in the sight lines along the tank's layout to reduce possible conflicts. If there are signs of conflict, try separate feeding areas for the two fish.
Where's the fish? - Neptune
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Many fish do better in 3s so it isn't only the more aggressive one constantly harassing the lesser one.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
goldielocke76
Fahaka Puffer
Location (country): California, USA

Post by goldielocke76 »

Thank you RTR! I guess I will get the smaller Danner Mag with 30gph, and stick with one AC. That should be sufficient with a wet dry filter, right?

PP- Thank you for pointing that out to me! You'd think after having anthias I would have thought about that, but I didn't. From the sound of the set up, do you think that the filtration for three would be sufficient? I plan on getting some more decorations in there. I get all the reef deco at Petsmart. Lots of holes, tunnels and the insides of the decorations to explore. I'll just have to get some taller plants. :)

I'll probably go out and grab the new one today and throw him in a QT tank, and treat him for IPs and possible ich. I've never seen a puffer in a store around here that doesn't have issues = /

Thank you both again for your input! :) If there is anything else you think I should consider, please let me know.
5.5g: Pond snails
5.5g: Red Cherry Shrimp and Rams
10g: PZ the Pee Wee (DP), Ghost shrimp, Otos x3
36g: Luau the F8, Zebra nerites x8, sometimes a herd of ghost shrimp for food
60g: Perches the starry blenny, 1 watchman goby Snaps the l.c. hermit, 2 emerald crabs, 1 red crab, 2 turbos, 7 asteas, 2 nerites, 2 clown gobies and 2 firefish gobies (upgrading to a 90 gallon reef)

RIP Yoshi, you are dearly missed <3