Our New Figure Eights

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
Trinity
Puffer Fry
Location (country): USA

Our New Figure Eights

Post by Trinity »

I would like to introduce you all to Penelope and Phillip. :-D They were my birthday present.

Penelope is on the bottom left and Phillip is on the top right.

We added in a medium and large sea cave for them which they enjoy swimming in and out of.

I bought them from a good pet store that is a local chain in my state. The store is always clean and well stocked and has a large and friendly staff. The figure eights had their own brackish tank at the store which was good to see.

The puffers have both settled in nicely, only pacing when they get hungry now. They get along well and only chase each other a bit at feeding time. I think the fish like how the aquarium is set up. They certainly seem happy and healthy and enjoy swimming through and around the decorations.

And isn't it funny how you can't have just one aquarium? The puffers have their 36 gallon one, their ramshorn snails have a 10 gallon one and I'm planning on setting up another for shrimp next month. Eventually I would like to have a freshwater and a marine aquarium or two as well. No, you can't have just one aquarium! :lol:

I am very glad I found this forum because I have learned so much here. Reading through a lot of the threads has answered almost every question I have had. So thank you everyone. :D
Last edited by Trinity on Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
purplecandle
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: Currently
2 Adult Green Spotted Puffers
1 Fangs Puffer
1 Baby Green Spotted Puffer
Location (country): USA (NC)

Re: Our New Figure Eights

Post by purplecandle »

Super cute :D !
defool89
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1 Fahaka
Location (country): United states, Garland Texas

Post by defool89 »

Oh wow very nice. I'm slighlty jelous
You have the right to bear Puffers.
Trinity
Puffer Fry

Post by Trinity »

Thanks guys. : ) Our whole family loves them and everyone who visits admires them. They have such charm and personality. :)

I am feeling a little nervous right now though. The hurricane is heading our way and we are expecting to lose power for a few days or even a week or more. I'm going to do a -larger than usual- partial tank change before it hits and keep a close eye on the water parameters once the power goes. I think all generators are sold out at this point so my husband and I will be taking turns at manually keeping the water oxygenated and circulated. It will be a round the clock job but we will manage. I'm a stay at home mom right now so I certainly have the time to take care of the fish 24/7 until the power comes back.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Get a pitcher & raise it very high, to splash the water back in. I had to do this all night for 8 tanks & still lost 1 fish & 1 shrimp.

Can you buy a battery backup?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Trinity
Puffer Fry

Post by Trinity »

Yep we are going to do the pitcher technique. Not the best option but it will have to do for now. I told my husband to get a battery and/or UPS thing if he can on his way home today.
hadla
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: 2 gsps and a big Stars and stripes
Location (country): California

Post by hadla »

yeah, i was going to say get a battery and a few air pumps to circulate the water
Never trust big puffers. The fingers you save may be your own. -RTR
sgtmyers88
My Puffers: Green Spotted Puffers

Post by sgtmyers88 »

Oh no! That hurricane is bad news for a lot of people! Hope your little puffers make it!

Note you can use your car as a generator! There are power inverters that you can plug into your car either thru the cigerette lighter plug or directly to the battery. The one I have is a Cobra 400 watt 12v DC to 120v AC power inverter. Just get a long extension cord to plug into the inverter and run the extension cord to power strip to run the aquarium. The units run from $30 to $180 and the one I have I got at a truck stop for $39.95.
WARNING: Puffers are mischievous little blimps with enchanting powers. You may not be content with having just one.
Master of Puffers
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: target puffer

fahaka

6 dwarf puffers
Location (country): La Belle Province

Post by Master of Puffers »

Trinity wrote:

And isn't it funny how you can't have just one aquarium?

For every tank I get a puffer for I have another tank cycling "just in case"...I used to think this was abnormal until I came here...I'm currently cycling a marine, a brackish and a FW tank..
A kiss on the hand may be quite continental
But puffers are a girl`s best friend.
Master of Puffers
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: target puffer

fahaka

6 dwarf puffers
Location (country): La Belle Province

Post by Master of Puffers »

sgtmyers88 wrote:Oh no! That hurricane is bad news for a lot of people! Hope your little puffers make it!

Note you can use your car as a generator! There are power inverters that you can plug into your car either thru the cigerette lighter plug or directly to the battery. The one I have is a Cobra 400 watt 12v DC to 120v AC power inverter. Just get a long extension cord to plug into the inverter and run the extension cord to power strip to run the
aquarium. The units run from $30 to $180 and the one I have I got at a truck stop for $39.95.

Looks like it's going to miss us...
A kiss on the hand may be quite continental
But puffers are a girl`s best friend.
Trinity
Puffer Fry

Post by Trinity »

Master of Puffers wrote:
sgtmyers88 wrote:Oh no! That hurricane is bad news for a lot of people! Hope your little puffers make it!

Note you can use your car as a generator! There are power inverters that you can plug into your car either thru the cigerette lighter plug or directly to the battery. The one I have is a Cobra 400 watt 12v DC to 120v AC power inverter. Just get a long extension cord to plug into the inverter and run the extension cord to power strip to run the
aquarium. The units run from $30 to $180 and the one I have I got at a truck stop for $39.95.

Looks like it's going to miss us...
My husband actually ended up getting a power inverter. We didn't need it though because the power never went out. Right now 30% of our town is without power, so we were lucky. It is a mess out there today with a lot of downed trees and wires. We didn't have any flooding at our home either, but we are about 6 miles inland in CT. I hope everyone else here was not too affected by Sandy.

Thank you again guys. The fish are doing well and are going to have their snails for the day pretty soon. : )
sgtmyers88
My Puffers: Green Spotted Puffers

Post by sgtmyers88 »

Thats awesome! Glad all is well! 8)
WARNING: Puffers are mischievous little blimps with enchanting powers. You may not be content with having just one.
pufferluver87
Dwarf Puffer
Location (country): ashford,kent

Post by pufferluver87 »

you have 2 little cuties there.nice setup too.