Thoughts on Filters

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
goldielocke76
Fahaka Puffer
Location (country): California, USA

Thoughts on Filters

Post by goldielocke76 »

Hey guys,

I am going to be putting an AC 110 on my 36 gallon bow for Luau. It's currently running a 70 and I want a bit more filtration/flow. Can I put the AC110 on it right now, and add some tetra safestart to it on Friday? (That's when it will be delivered). Or should I wait to put it on? I was thinking I'd just wait, put the biomedia from the 70 into the 110 along with the new biomedia, and put the safestart in. Any thoughts? I just want to make sure that Luau is not really affected.

Also, planning on getting a stand for his tank. If I do this, I was thinking about getting a Fluval, from the G series. I don't know if I'd keep the AC110 on it. But I'd like to have the flow and the extra filtration. This is still kind of far off in the future, maybe sometime next year. Anyone have any experience with the G series? I wasn't sure if I should go with the 3 or the 6, so any thoughts on that would be appreciated as well.

Thanks guys!

Brandie
5.5g: Pond snails
5.5g: Red Cherry Shrimp and Rams
10g: PZ the Pee Wee (DP), Ghost shrimp, Otos x3
36g: Luau the F8, Zebra nerites x8, sometimes a herd of ghost shrimp for food
60g: Perches the starry blenny, 1 watchman goby Snaps the l.c. hermit, 2 emerald crabs, 1 red crab, 2 turbos, 7 asteas, 2 nerites, 2 clown gobies and 2 firefish gobies (upgrading to a 90 gallon reef)

RIP Yoshi, you are dearly missed <3
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Re: Thoughts on Filters

Post by bertie 83 »

As long as you add all your old media from the smaller filter you should not need safestart. Just keep a close eye to be safe
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
Terrance
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: Retired Puffer Addict
Location (country): USA

Post by Terrance »

Take out the sponge and media from the 70 and put it in the 110. It might be crowded. Then each week you can slowly take out the 70's media.
Kind regards,
Terrance
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

I've always used Eheims, so know nothing about Fluvals but that is pretty much the same set up I have on my 46g GF tank.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
goldielocke76
Fahaka Puffer

Post by goldielocke76 »

Well, after a little modding on the 36b b.f. with a pair of wire snips, I finally got the 110AC on the back of the tank, plugged in and running. I think I will stick with this set up for a while. He's the only guy in the 36 gallon tank and it now has 3x the filtration. I thought it was 4, but it's not. That will hold him up for a while at least. =)
60g: Perches the starry blenny, 1 watchman goby Snaps the l.c. hermit, 2 emerald crabs, 1 red crab, 2 turbos, 7 asteas, 2 nerites, 2 clown gobies and 2 firefish gobies (upgrading to a 90 gallon reef)

bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

I hate having to modify stuff so it fits lol. Glad it's going well for you
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
JRC3
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: F8(55g)
F8 (46g)
4-DP(29g)
Location (country): U.S.

Post by JRC3 »

goldielocke76 wrote:He's the only guy in the 36 gallon tank and it now has 3x the filtration. I thought it was 4, but it's not. That will hold him up for a while at least. =)
That thing pumps 500gph and will filter nearly 14x. The "110" is a generic recommendation for what size tank the filter is to be used on and not the gph.

You are good to go.
There are many knowledgeable fish keepers on this forum willing to help and give great advice...The advice is free; What you choose to do with it gives it value.
goldielocke76
Fahaka Puffer

Post by goldielocke76 »

bertie 83 wrote:I hate having to modify stuff so it fits lol. Glad it's going well for you
Me too haha. It doesn't look pretty, but it gets the job done.
JRC3 wrote:
goldielocke76 wrote:He's the only guy in the 36 gallon tank and it now has 3x the filtration. I thought it was 4, but it's not. That will hold him up for a while at least. =)
That thing pumps 500gph and will filter nearly 14x. The "110" is a generic recommendation for what size tank the filter is to be used on and not the gph.

You are good to go.
Interesting. I couldn't remember the rule of thumb for filtration and the library isn't up so I could check. Good to know, LoL. Luau does seem to be enjoying the flow more. I see him swim in it all the time haha. =) Thank you! ^.^