3 Little Pigs!!!!

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
Donna_G
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: 2 Dwarf puffers
Location (country): Bridgend,South Wales,UK

Re: 3 Little Pigs!!!!

Post by Donna_G »

Just thought I'd share a pic of the tank, I've finally placed the plants and next week I'll start adding salt to get to 1.005(very slowly). Let me know what you think :D
http://i1069.photobucket.com/albums/u47 ... oto-25.jpg
kcartwright856
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: 2 C. travancoricus (dwarf puffer)
7 Pangio kuhlii
5 Otocinclus vittatus (w/ fry)
Location (country): USA

Post by kcartwright856 »

Donna, I LOVE it!

Did you get the driftwood in those shapes, or did you fasten multiple pieces together? They look great, and the java fern is place perfectly.

Is that just regular java fern? (I know it's not Windelov or Trident, but I can't tell past that.) And I assume that is some sort of val?
-KC

My DP tank journal: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=29746
Pufftastic
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: 1 x C travancoricus
Have also kept:
T biocellatus
Location (country): California USA

Post by Pufftastic »

Nice look! I have horrible luck with live plants and gave them up years ago, so I'm always impressed when someone can keep plants alive.

How big is your tank?
Yo ho, yo ho, a puffer's life for me.
Donna_G
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by Donna_G »

kcartwright856 wrote:Donna, I LOVE it!

Did you get the driftwood in those shapes, or did you fasten multiple pieces together? They look great, and the java fern is place perfectly.

Is that just regular java fern? (I know it's not Windelov or Trident, but I can't tell past that.) And I assume that is some sort of val?
Thank you, I am surprised at how well it ended up looking :D I would love to say I had enough artistic flare to have crafted wood to look like that but no, that's how it came lol. Now this is where I really show myself up cos I didn't know there were different types of java fern :shock: but I'm assuming it's just regular and there's giant val in the back right corner and the rest is regular val :? It's the same as the giant but the leaves aren't so big. I really need to start reading up on plants a little more!!!!
Donna_G
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by Donna_G »

Pufftastic wrote:Nice look! I have horrible luck with live plants and gave them up years ago, so I'm always impressed when someone can keep plants alive.

How big is your tank?
Ummmm...... The tanks only had plants in it for just over a week now so watch this space as to whether they stay alive lol, it's just under 40 gallons(us)
FADE2BLACK_1973
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: Fahaka (Tetraodon lineatus)

Once owned:
Congo (Tetraodon miurus) R.I.P
GSP's
Figure 8's
SAP
DP's
Stars and Stripes
Porcupine puffers
Yellow long horn Cowfish
Striped Burrfish
Location (country): United States of America

Post by FADE2BLACK_1973 »

Donna_G wrote:Just thought I'd share a pic of the tank, I've finally placed the plants and next week I'll start adding salt to get to 1.005(very slowly). Let me know what you think :D
http://i1069.photobucket.com/albums/u47 ... oto-25.jpg

That is beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Chris,

He who knows best knows how little he knows - Thomas Jefferson
Donna_G
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by Donna_G »

Kc, I've been doing a bit more reading on plants and brackish water and found posts asking the same question on Tropical fish forums- they were asking if they could just put the plants in brackish water, and was advised to plant in fresh water then raise the sg Quote "your plants will do better as sg 1.003 and your low end brackish fish will be fine. So after reading that I'm not sure whether to stop at 1.003 now if it'll be better for the plants, and my puffs will still be ok :?
kcartwright856
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: 2 C. travancoricus (dwarf puffer)
7 Pangio kuhlii
5 Otocinclus vittatus (w/ fry)
Location (country): USA

Post by kcartwright856 »

Donna, I've been contemplating the same thing, actually. Of course I want a healthy puffer first, but it seems like there could be a happy medium in there.

Where did you get the wood? I'm looking to find my own pieces like I did for my DP tank, but no luck yet.
-KC

My DP tank journal: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=29746
Donna_G
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by Donna_G »

kcartwright856 wrote:Donna, I've been contemplating the same thing, actually. Of course I want a healthy puffer first, but it seems like there could be a happy medium in there.

Where did you get the wood? I'm looking to find my own pieces like I did for my DP tank, but no luck yet.
I read that thread again that I quoted and the person suggesting sg 1.003 is Neale Monks who has a book published on brackish fish( it's for sale on Amazon.com) :D so that's made my mind up
I bought the wood from maidenhead aquatics near Cardiff(not that that helps you lol) most only stock the normal driftwood so am really pleased I got these and the puffs seem to love it too :supercool: