GSP a little over rambunctious ?

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
sparks42
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: Green Spotted Puffer named Chomper!

GSP a little over rambunctious ?

Post by sparks42 »

I was just wondering if it's normal for a GSP to get more rambunctious as time goes forward.

More and more my puffer is seeming really... just hyper. As soon as I'm in the livingroom where he is, he zips to the corner closest to me and he basically just freaks out for attention or something.

He'll go up and down and left to right and back... (not surfing... waaay faster than surfing) so fast he'll break the water and splash. It's like he's desperately screaming with his body language "MEEE MEEEEE attention MEE I need attention look at MEE!"

He is also constantly chomping (at me?). It's like, holy geez there buddy.

When i walk towards the tank with his food in my hands, he starts grinding his teeth against the glass and seems to get more super vicious.
It's totally amusing and all, but I just want to make sure he's not "mad" agressive at me.

Is this normal to be so rambunctious, and is he going to continue to get crazier ?

He's probably 4 or 5 years old now.

Thanks.
CoCoPuffs
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): usa

Re: GSP a little over rambunctious ?

Post by CoCoPuffs »

Sounds cool to me...
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

Tank size and fish size? Complexity of decor? Current?

You can always try (after a meal, please - ) re-arranging his tank if the set-p is too familiar.

Boosting the current along the front glass can promote more exercise - that might help take the edge off the fish's energy level.
Where's the fish? - Neptune
El Scorpio
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: none, at the moment...
Location (country): Louisville, KY.

Post by El Scorpio »

Perfectly normal behavior from a GSP. This is what we talk about when we say that puffers are personable fish who recognize their owners. He's just happy to see you.
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

Just as with human children, there is a line between personable and hyperactive. That diagnosis is up to the owner.
Where's the fish? - Neptune
sgtmyers88
My Puffers: Green Spotted Puffers
Location (country): USA

Post by sgtmyers88 »

I have made an observation that my GSP's tend to pace the glass (sometimes ferociously) after they eat. Burning excess calories? lol :D

(just fed them some pond snails and ghost shrimp this morning)
WARNING: Puffers are mischievous little blimps with enchanting powers. You may not be content with having just one.