Green spotted puffer all black?

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
Petoj87
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Sweden

Green spotted puffer all black?

Post by Petoj87 »

Hi, i did buy 2 puffers earlier but im sorry to say they died, i had big problem with my 250L aquarium... anyhow now my 250L is up and running normally again for some time so i bought a new puffer, but today when i came home he was all black almost like a stone(lying at the bottom of my tank), i thought he was dead and i became totally sad, so when i was on my way to get him out he returned to normal color and started swimming around, is this normal behavior? my guess is that he was sleeping and that the black color was just a camouflage..

Yesterday all water values where normal ill do a new test in a few minutes again.

Hes in freshwater, i have started adding a little marine salt to get him to more brackish conditions...
LongGrain
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): Green bay, WI, U.S.

Re: Green spotted puffer all black?

Post by LongGrain »

He has parasites that are making him weak. My GSP turned all black and layed at the bottom for almost 3 weeks, only turning green when I would do something to make him swim around. After 2 weeks of failed attempts to treat his IP's he died.

you can read through my hospital thread and see what I went through when my gsp exhibited the same behavior.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=29438
LilGreenPuffer
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Dwarf puffer - Thumbelina (only mine in my heart now; she lives in CT with my friend)

RIP Inigo Montoya, Fezzik, and Vizinni.
RIP James Bond.
Location (country): United States

Post by LilGreenPuffer »

LongGrain, parasites aren't the only cause of a black belly.

Black or gray bellies on GSPs are usually a sign of stress. It could mean internal parasites, another illness, fear, or general distress due to being in a new home or an annoying water change - just about anything. Some people also report black bellies during sleep, which is probably what happened to you.
"I will give you a talisman. Whenever you are in doubt, or when the self becomes too much with you, apply the following test. Recall the face of the poorest and the weakest man whom you may have seen, and ask yourself, if the step you contemplate is going to be of any use to him or her. Will she gain anything by it? Will it restore her to a control over her own life and destiny? In other words, will it lead to freedom for the hungry and spiritually starving millions? Then you will find your doubts and your self melt away."

Found among the papers of Mohatma Gandhi

Come and visit http://www.thetriopsforum.com!

I AM A DUDETTE!

NEED NITRIFYING BACTERIA FOR YOUR NEW TANK? PM ME!
LongGrain
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by LongGrain »

i don't think he's talking about a black belly, i think he's talking about a black FISH. as in, not green and with no spots.

thats what my fish did, he turned all black and layed on the bottom. When I would do something to encourage him to swim, we would go back to green w/ black spots and a white belly, but before long his whole body would go black again and he would return to the bottom of the tank.
Petoj87
Puffer Fry

Post by Petoj87 »

Water parameters:
NO3 0-10
No2 0
dGH 7
dKH 10-15
PH 7,6-8
CL2 0
25 Celsius
Tank size: 250 Liter
And yes the fish was totally black the spots where still there but where barely visible..
LilGreenPuffer
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Dwarf puffer - Thumbelina (only mine in my heart now; she lives in CT with my friend)

RIP James Bond.

Post by LilGreenPuffer »

If it happens again, can you take a picture?

Fish can change color when they're sleeping or hunting, but you're right, this is fairly extreme. Are there any other symptoms? Do you have an ammonia test?
i don't think he's talking about a black belly, i think he's talking about a black FISH. as in, not green and with no spots.

thats what my fish did, he turned all black and layed on the bottom. When I would do something to encourage him to swim, we would go back to green w/ black spots and a white belly, but before long his whole body would go black again and he would return to the bottom of the tank.
Still doesn't mean it's necessarily IPs.
"I will give you a talisman. Whenever you are in doubt, or when the self becomes too much with you, apply the following test. Recall the face of the poorest and the weakest man whom you may have seen, and ask yourself, if the step you contemplate is going to be of any use to him or her. Will she gain anything by it? Will it restore her to a control over her own life and destiny? In other words, will it lead to freedom for the hungry and spiritually starving millions? Then you will find your doubts and your self melt away."

I AM A DUDETTE!

LongGrain
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by LongGrain »

i know, i was just giving a suggestion, either way the fish sounds distressed in some way.

just realized i said "he has parasites making him weak", I meant to say it could be parasites making him weak. Thats what you get for changing your mind on what you want to write half way through a sentence haha.
Petoj87
Puffer Fry

Post by Petoj87 »

My current test kit doesn't contain Ammonia ill get a new one tomorrow, and yes ill get a picture next time (this time i was to shocked to even think about it) but since he has woken up hes been swimming around with the occasional resting on the sand and a little bit of hiding, hes eating fine (the first day he totally decimated the other inhabitants (a few red cherry shrimp and a few snails)...
Petoj87
Puffer Fry

Post by Petoj87 »

one more thing his poo is some times red but mostly back...
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

If you are feeding lots of blood worm red poo can be expected
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
Petoj87
Puffer Fry

Post by Petoj87 »

ok well thats his main food my snails are still growing...
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

He shouldnt be black tho. Keep a very close eye on your water and keep us posted
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
LilGreenPuffer
Former Staff Member

RIP James Bond.

Post by LilGreenPuffer »

LongGrain wrote:just realized i said "he has parasites making him weak", I meant to say it could be parasites making him weak. Thats what you get for changing your mind on what you want to write half way through a sentence haha.
Gotcha. :)

I AM A DUDETTE!

CoCoPuffs
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): usa

Post by CoCoPuffs »

Is he eating?
Petoj87
Puffer Fry

Post by Petoj87 »

yes he is eating fine.