Hello from Ohio!

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
runningboy01
Dwarf Puffer
Location (country): USA

Hello from Ohio!

Post by runningboy01 »

Hello all.

I just joined the forums and have already done a ton of reading.

I was in my Pet Store last week to get cat food and saw the most interesting looking fish. Upon further inspection they turned out to be Figure 8 and Leopard Puffers (I assume Leopard Puffers is another name for Green Spotted Puffers?). Needless to say, I became very interested in started doing some reading, which lead me here.

For a bit of background information - I am 29, married and have a 16 month old and 2 cats. I work in IT and am quite busy. I have never personally owned a fish tank, although we had beta fish when I was a kid. My mom is obsessed with Fish Tanks, but has all Fresh Water.

Needless to say, I am looking at getting either F8 or GSP. Currently, I have no equipment of any sort and will need to purchase everything. If anyone has any pointers/guides/etc, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Anyways, from what I've read, I would need a minimum of a 30 Gallon Tank (looking to start with only 1 Puffer). I did find this and thought that maybe it would be good to start with and then grow from there:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0035H366U?tag=2011-fb-01-20
Any thoughts?

I know I can get a tank off craigslist or something, but I'm unsure of what else would be needed if it only comes with a Tank and Lid.

I tried to go to the Library and Puffpedia but they both seem to be currently down.

Any advice/tips/help/suggestion is greatly appreciated.
DrKennethNoisewater
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Puffers:
2xGSP
Non Puffers:
3xPictus Catfish
1xBlack Ghost Knife
1xGolden Dojo Loach
1xHighfin Pleco
1xBoesemani Rainbow
4xHarlequin Rasboras
Location (country): under a bridge ontario, canada

Re: Hello from Ohio!

Post by DrKennethNoisewater »

hey when the pufferpedia and library are working they are a really great resource. i have 2 GSP's and have had dwarfs in the past. I'm not the #1 person to talk to on the subject but do have a small amount of experience. your best bet, and if you dont feel like spending a fortune, would be to go on kijiji or craigslist and find a used i would say 40g minimum. i started mine in a ten than to a 20 than to a 40 and its a huge pain, i still need to get them into a bigger tank eventually. than a filter that i really trust, i run on my 40, 65, and my friend runs one on his 55 and 35, is the aquaclear 300. ive bought one for $20.00 (steal) and another for $40.00 (still a steal) both used. they are really great at moving water and all the parts are cheap and easily replaced given something fails. the trick is to give your puffer ample space, and whenever possible, put him in his adult home right from the start. the extra water of a bigger tank will also really help with his enormous bioload. maybe thats not best and someone can correct me on whatever, but thats how i would go about it.
Pufftastic
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: 1 x C travancoricus
Have also kept:
T biocellatus
Location (country): California USA

Post by Pufftastic »

If you get a single F8, anything from about 20 gallons on up will do nicely. GSPs should really be in at least a 55 gallon.

F8s live in low brackish water (low salinity), while GSPs need higher salinity and eventually full saltwater.

Puffers need a lot of filtration, as they are voracious, messy eaters and your water quality can reflect that if you're not careful. I personally like to have filtration on my tank (I prefer canister filters, but a lot of people like HOBs, or hang-on-back, style filters) that can process the entire tank volume about 10 times per hour. Every filter will tell you how many gph (gallons per hour) they pump. So, for a 20 gallon tank, I'd want a filter or filters that process 200 gph. 55 gallon, 550 gph. Etc.

So, to get started with a puff, you'll need at minimum:
  • Tank
    Tank stand or suitable (sturdy) furniture
    Hood/lid for tank (these guys can be jumpers!)
    Lights if you're keeping live plants. Optional if not, but makes watching your puffer way more fun.
    Filter or filters
    Some kind of substrate (to cover the bottom of the tank). Gravel is OK, but for F8s, a thin layer of aragonite sand works well to keep the water's pH high, which in turn raises the water's hardness, which apparently is good for them.
    Water conditioner/dechlorinator
    Marine (saltwater) mix (not regular aquarium salt)
    Refractometer or hydrometer to measure the tank's salinity (inexpensive ones on eBay)
    Decor for the tank so your puff can stay busy and have lots to explore
    Stuff to feed the puffer (there are great feeding articles on here -- no flakes or pellets, they won't eat 'em!)
GREAT deals on used tanks on Craigslist -- I never buy new anymore. Hope that gives you a good starting point! Welcome to the world of puffers -- they're really fun fish. And good on you for doing your research BEFORE getting the fish! :supercool:
Yo ho, yo ho, a puffer's life for me.
runningboy01
Dwarf Puffer

Post by runningboy01 »

Thanks for all of the input. I really appreciate it.

So would it be safe to assume that F8's are easier to take care of (or better for a starter)?

I really like the way the GSP look though :).

Also, can we discuss feeding? I've read on what they eat, but I guess what I haven't seen much of is how often they need to be fed.

Also, how about cleaning the tank. I read somewhere that it is good to do a 25-50% refresh (forget what it is called) at least once to twice a week?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

[welcome]
Our most pertinent articles are being loaded onto a forum page. The F8 & GSP ones are up. The GSP wold prefer a 55g tank. Be sure you study up on fishless cycling.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
xrayjeeper83
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: Fahaka named Bloat
Abei named Huey
GSP named Bacon

Post by xrayjeeper83 »

runningboy01 wrote:Thanks for all of the input. I really appreciate it.

So would it be safe to assume that F8's are easier to take care of (or better for a starter)? id agree with this, they are very low brackish water vs GSp that end up full marine

I really like the way the GSP look though :).

Also, can we discuss feeding? I've read on what they eat, but I guess what I haven't seen much of is how often they need to be fed.every day with 1 day off as babies as they grow you can start feeding them a little bit less

Also, how about cleaning the tank. I read somewhere that it is good to do a 25-50% refresh (forget what it is called) at least once to twice a week?50% water change with vacuuming the substrate weekly is best
RTR wrote:Fahakas do not have tank mates, they may have swimming food reserves.
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

Yes 50% weekly water changes are essential for your puffers help, vacuum substrate at the same time
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
runningboy01
Dwarf Puffer

Post by runningboy01 »

Thanks again for all of the input.

I wonder, would it be better to go with a Freshwater puffer (not that I'd even know where to find/buy one) to start with as I've never done a brackish tank before? If so, which freshwater would you recommend and how does this affect tank size?
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

This is totally your choice. A29g will leave you with little choice. Dwarf puffers are the only sensible choice for that size.
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
runningboy01
Dwarf Puffer

Post by runningboy01 »

Thanks! I thought about starting with the tank I linked earlier, however it sounds like I should start larger if i can. As such, I would like to try and start with a 50 gallon if possible.
runningboy01
Dwarf Puffer

Post by runningboy01 »

Ok. So I was looking at the local pet store and here are some puffers that were for sale. The first batch they had labeled as South American Puffers (yet the employee called them figure 8 ):

The next batch I found was labeled as GSP:

This batch was labeled as Figure 8 and Leopard Puffers:

Can anyone confirm or deny any of the above?
sevenyearnight
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: T. nigroviridis
Balki Bartokomous

Post by sevenyearnight »

1st group: South American Puffers
2nd group: Green Spotted Puffers
3rd group: Figure 8 Puffers
DrKennethNoisewater
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Puffers:
2xGSP
Non Puffers:
3xPictus Catfish
1xBlack Ghost Knife
1xGolden Dojo Loach
1xHighfin Pleco
1xBoesemani Rainbow
4xHarlequin Rasboras
Location (country): under a bridge ontario, canada

Post by DrKennethNoisewater »

those f8's look like a reasonable size. south americans are nice. i like their big eyes. but i dont want to keep up with their teeth. i have enough trouble with my gsp's. i would say fig 8 is the easiest to keep of the 3. or SA. GSP's get the biggest, and require a shift to marine.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Tank photography tip: NO flash.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
runningboy01
Dwarf Puffer

Post by runningboy01 »

Yeah, I meant to turn off flash. Only had my phone with me. I had it in one hand and my daughter in the other LOL.

I really like GSP but having never owned anything before, I fear that i may mess up. Although, I imagine it is a bit of time before they have to go full marine?