Brackish difficulty

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
weidjd
Dwarf Puffer

Brackish difficulty

Post by weidjd »

I have read that although sw is more $$ upfront, once up and running it is less work/$$ then low to mid brackish. Is this based on the constant water changes and all the equipment that helps for SW? I was thinking about F8s with BBG. But I would go with GSPs straight into sw if it is easier to control long term.
sevenyearnight

Re: Brackish difficulty

Post by sevenyearnight »

I think brackish is kind of a PITA, it's lots of water changes, and hard to establish initially, and a limited plant selection.
greenspottedlover
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1 GSP
Location (country): Vermont

Post by greenspottedlover »

sevenyearnight wrote:I think brackish is kind of a PITA, it's lots of water changes, and hard to establish initially, and a limited plant selection.
That is true, but brackish tanks can have very cool fish such as mudskippers.
Hilly
Mentor
My Puffers: Current: Tetraodon Lineatus
Previous:
Tetraodon Sabahensis
Montrete Abei
Tetraodon Biocellatus
Carinotetraodon Salivator
Location (country): UK

Post by Hilly »

Brackish costs only come into play in high SG bands. F8's and bumbleebee gobies at a salinity of 1.005-1.008 will not be a problem in terms of cost. COst starts to ramp up in brackish when you head into the higher ranges which is why people prefer to go marine for GSP's as they can live quite happily in it and the tank looks nicer. In the lower ranges where F8's thrive the costs are minimal.
Hilly