When F8's attack....

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
Tank Girl
Puffer Fry
Location (country): USA

When F8's attack....

Post by Tank Girl »

Hello-
I've had my F8 puffer, Otis, for 3 years now and he is in a brackish 15 gal on my desk, so he makes a great companion for me while I work. I have a snail tank as well as many pond and ramshorn snails in the two SA tanks also in my office, so there are no shortage of snails. He also eats thawed frozen (SF Bay Brand) plankton and brine shrimp, as well as tiny bits of cocktail shrimp from time to time. His diet mostly consists of snails, however. His tank is open on all sides, no background, and I have it scaped with coral rocks in a central structure with lots of holes and archways in between, so he can cruise from one side of the tank to the other and explore on all sides. There is also java moss in the tank. I rearrange the rocks periodically and he does not spend any time "pacing" back and forth that I ever see.

I am curious about his recent behavior change, where he has started biting me when I put my hand in the tank, and seems completely frantic for food, even if he has eaten recently. I feed him several times a day and try to keep his belly rounded. When I am in the room he constantly begs for my attention, even jumping out of the water a bit to make a splash to get me to feed him. Is this normal behavior for a puffer of his age (I got him when he was about 1" three years ago and now he's almost 3"). He did not used to be this way, and I could put my hand in the tank without danger of a nip. His color is good, he appears very healthy and active, yet you'd think I starve him regularly. I don't know what I could do differently but I'm just wondering, as this is the only F8 I've had.

TIA!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: When F8's attack....

Post by Pufferpunk »

[welcome]
Is he getting thinner? Do you feed any other live foods, other than the snails you breed? My guess is he is maturing into the aggressive beast he's meant to be.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Tank Girl
Puffer Fry

Post by Tank Girl »

He's not getting thinner, but he seems to "go through" his feedings more quickly, in that his belly will be nice and round, and it takes less time for it to go down than it used to. He gets no other live food than the snails. I have tried earthworms but he does not seem to recognize it as food and ignores it, and it mucks up the tank terribly.

I could try live adult brine shrimp periodically, as my LFS always has them. Maybe he just needs something more to do, lol! Too bad there is no treat ball like you give a dog, in which I could place some nice fat snails, and he'd spend most of the morning trying to get them out, lol!

Thanks very much for the reply -
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Don't bother with brine--mostly water & not nutritious. Snails are a great diet.
Here are some other ideas: library/feeding/feeding-your-puffers/
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

Flutter
Former Staff Member
Location (country): Canada

Post by Flutter »

If you notice the belly going down abnormally quickly you could try treating for IPs. I find it's easiest to tell when they get a pinched look.

Ours bites and jumps out of the water and she's still around an inch long. I can't wait to see what she's like when she's 3" :ROFL2:
It is absurd to talk of one animal being higher than another. We consider those, when the cerebral structure/intellectual faculties most developed, as highest. A bee doubtless would when the instincts were.
Charles Darwin
Tank Girl
Puffer Fry

Post by Tank Girl »

Flutter wrote:If you notice the belly going down abnormally quickly you could try treating for IPs. I find it's easiest to tell when they get a pinched look.

Ours bites and jumps out of the water and she's still around an inch long. I can't wait to see what she's like when she's 3" :ROFL2:
I'll try to get a better idea of how long it takes for his belly to go down and decide if I think IPs might be a problem - thanks.

Mine has just now started the antics, so I guess I was lucky that he was a sweetie pie for so long! It is certainly entertaining. It is a relief to hear that this is not unusual behavior.
FADE2BLACK_1973
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: Fahaka (Tetraodon lineatus)

Once owned:
Congo (Tetraodon miurus) R.I.P
GSP's
Figure 8's
SAP
DP's
Stars and Stripes
Porcupine puffers
Yellow long horn Cowfish
Striped Burrfish
Location (country): United States of America

Post by FADE2BLACK_1973 »

Well puffers like to bite, thats for sure. Had my share of lil nips from small GSP's. Believe an attitude comes along with age. Kinda like humans..lol.
Chris,

He who knows best knows how little he knows - Thomas Jefferson
JoseDepacos
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Valentini- Ripley

Post by JoseDepacos »

Sounds like he has you well trained. If you wanted to feed him a bit of brine I dont see an issue, just make sure its spirulina brine. At least that way it has some nutritional value.
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

Do you hand feed the snails to the puffer?

Even for small puffs like F-8s. it is better to use forceps or such to feed. Teaching the fish to associate fingers and food it not a good thing IME.
Where's the fish? - Neptune
Flutter
Former Staff Member
Location (country): Canada

Post by Flutter »

I don't know about the OP but we use tongs for all foods except snails which she eats right off of the pliers. Or if they're really small I can crush them with the tongs. She's never fed with fingers but bites everything that goes in the tank. Even attacks the syphon.
It is absurd to talk of one animal being higher than another. We consider those, when the cerebral structure/intellectual faculties most developed, as highest. A bee doubtless would when the instincts were.
Charles Darwin
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

I had a Fahaka like that. It was a demon. Be glad yours is at least smaller.
Where's the fish? - Neptune
JRC3
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: F8(55g)
F8 (46g)
4-DP(29g)
Location (country): U.S.

Post by JRC3 »

I bought these.

http://cgi.ebay.com/12-EXTRA-LONG-JUMBO ... 483e533c9c

There are longer ones Ebay. I'm considering an 18" or 24" pair for maintenance as well as feeding.
There are many knowledgeable fish keepers on this forum willing to help and give great advice...The advice is free; What you choose to do with it gives it value.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

I love my long tweezers. Got the bent ones too.

Tank Girl
Puffer Fry

Post by Tank Girl »

I use long tweezers for soft things, like shrimp/plankton, but I just drop snails in without putting my hand in, since he's ready and winding up for the attack when I have my hand over the water and all I need to do is drop it in - the snail does not make it to the bottom. The top of the tank is a glass kitchen cutting board, so if I have to crush a larger snail I crush it on the cutting board by the edge and wipe it into the water.

I have a lot of tank utensils on hand, though, since I also have heavily planted tanks that I've had for years, and they come in handy for that.

I guess the bottom line is that no, biting the hand that feeds it is not unusual, and I need not be concerned. That's good to know!

Thanks to all very much. :D
purplecandle
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: Currently
2 Adult Green Spotted Puffers
1 Fangs Puffer
1 Baby Green Spotted Puffer
Location (country): USA (NC)

Post by purplecandle »

Wow you guys are fancy. I just get their attention, drop and run (because they won't eat if I am too close to the tank, shy boogers). I don't put my hands near the water.

Or sometimes if I have to give them earth worms, I run towards the tank screaming and that gets their attention and I throw the worms and step back. My husband thinks it is hilarious. I hate worms, they remind of snakes (huge phobia of mine). I get the worms out, start screaming..wash the worms off, still screaming and gagging...tell the kids to open the tank lid...kids start laughing..I keep screaming..then run with clean worms toward the tank about 20 feet..and then throw the worms once I get close enough. Don't worry, the worms don't hit the lid..I throw them very girl-like (underhanded toss). I tried using tongs, but the worms kept slipping out down the sink or onto the carpet, mainly because they would wiggle and I would freak out. But, I keep buying worms, my babies need their veggies.