Funny "human like" behavior in new tank

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
crystalmelly
Puffer Fry
Location (country): USA

Funny "human like" behavior in new tank

Post by crystalmelly »

I have 2 GSP's Pongo(2.5 inches) and The Riddler(2 inches). The Riddler has always been more curious and explorative than Pongo. Today I moved them into their new 75 gallon tank that I just finished cycling. Pongo swam immediately to a tree stump decoration and hid while The Riddler swam around under cover to explore. After about 2 minutes of this The Riddler swam over to the tree stump and it looked like he coaxed Pongo out of hiding. Pongo then followed The Riddler around the tank for about 3 minutes and then went off exploring on his own. Pongo still looks a little stressed and may take a day or two to adjust to the new tank, but The Riddler's color went back to normal after the first 2 minutes of exploration. I am really glad I have 2 of these guys as I think The Riddler will help Pongo adjust. I know I am probably anthropomorphising, but I though it was sweet.

For anyone who doesn't know Anthropomorphism is giving human characteristics to animals. This seems to be common among puffer keepers.

Has anyone else seen funny or human like behavior from their puffer?
sparks42
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: Green Spotted Puffer named Chomper!

Re: Funny "human like" behavior in new tank

Post by sparks42 »

you mean like when I yawned watching my puffer, then he yawned back at me?
jus85411
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: none currently :(

Post by jus85411 »

back when i had two housed together i would see similar behavior to this. one GSP would be swimming around and go over and look at the other one. then the two would swim around together and sometimes would start digging around in the sand vigorously for snails i have in there. truely incredible to see and definitely gets you thinking that they talk to eachother and plot on certain things like that
crystalmelly
Puffer Fry

Post by crystalmelly »

I am not sure how to put pictures on the forum. There are pics of my setup and the follow the leader in my album. Also Pongo's color is now normal and they just ate their first meal in the new tank.
Ohyouknow
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: Vicious (T. Lineatus - Fahaka)
Location (country): Indiana, USA.

Post by Ohyouknow »

to post photos I usually upload them to a third party host, such as photobucket ( http://www.photobucket.com ) or other people use imageshack ( imageshack.us I think??) They will provide you with a direct link, or a code to imbed the image from their host. Saves space on TPF servers as well!

I think my wee Vicious is very human at times, has quite the personality and knows how to really make me laugh!
Happiness comes through doors you didn't even know you left open.
xrayjeeper83
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: Fahaka named Bloat
Abei named Huey
GSP named Bacon

Post by xrayjeeper83 »

you can host them in photobucket
RTR wrote:Fahakas do not have tank mates, they may have swimming food reserves.
jus85411
Mbu Puffer

Post by jus85411 »

i usually just click the post reply button rather than the quick reply. that way it takes you to a different layout for posting replies. under the dialog box there will be an options area that is grey and there is an "upload attachment" tab. click on that and just browse for your pictures. i have never had any issues doing it that way and never have used a third party for uploading pics
Ohyouknow
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: Vicious (T. Lineatus - Fahaka)
Location (country): Indiana, USA.

Post by Ohyouknow »

I figured that when you did the 'upload attachment' it saved it to TPF servers, taking up their space. By posting a link, or embedding an image, I was under the impression it wasn't saved on their servers, or take up their space. Maybe I'm wrong? That's why I like the 3rd party host :D
Happiness comes through doors you didn't even know you left open.
Hilly
Mentor
My Puffers: Current: Tetraodon Lineatus
Previous:
Tetraodon Sabahensis
Montrete Abei
Tetraodon Biocellatus
Carinotetraodon Salivator
Location (country): UK

Post by Hilly »

Whek you upload attachments for example into your own user gallery you take up space on TPF's allocation of space on the server. Use photobucket and it just links to that so you're not using up TPF's storage allocation. I generally attach when loading stuff into my user gallery which isnt very often but allows visitors to have a look at what were keeping. For posts I prefer photobucket, especially if you have a lot to show quickly.

Plus there is a nice iphone app for photobucket so if you snap anything in an LFS you can easily upload it for posting later on.
Hilly
jus85411
Mbu Puffer

Post by jus85411 »

i didnt think of it taking up their server space when i upload stuff to threads. luckily i havent done it too much yet but i will start using 3rd party so i dont present any issues later down the line as it would have added up