Freeze Dried Snails? Help!

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
littlepuffers
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: One Green Spotted Puffer in a 55G tank. (RIP little puffer #2!)
Location (country): USA

Freeze Dried Snails? Help!

Post by littlepuffers »

Hi everyone. Two of our local aquarium/fish stores went out of business and they were the only two places we could get snails for our GSPs. I've tried the larger pet stores (Petco, etc.) but they are cleaned out pretty well.

So, point being, it's been a while since our puffers got snails. :( And we are starting to get more anxious.

Does anyone know a good place to get them online? Or maybe freeze dried ones or something?

Any help would be appreciated!
Myaj
Tech Team
My Puffers: Bubba, turgidus
Paris, lined burrfish

Re: Freeze Dried Snails? Help!

Post by Myaj »

Look on http://www.aquabid.com, or do a google search for Wilma, snails.. she's a highly recommended seller.

This is why its such a good idea to not rely on outside sources but to just set up a small snail breeding tank :(
TSI431
Puffer Fry

Post by TSI431 »

I am assuming you want the snails for the beak trimming. You can use other food sources for the same purpose. Mussel, cockle, crab legs, shell on shrimp. All of these can help. My father also lives in Alaska, so I assume you have pretty easy access to some crab legs, you will just have to cut it up depending on the size of your fish.
littlepuffers
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: One Green Spotted Puffer in a 55G tank. (RIP little puffer #2!)

Post by littlepuffers »

We did try to do a small breeding tank a couple of times, and seriously could not get the snails to get past just hatched... they would all die shortly after. And we tried it a few times. :(

And yes, we want to try to get their beaks back to being shorter... they are creeping up on us! Eeek! And we don't want to have to trim them.

I would have thought the shell on shrimp would not be hard enough? We have fed them pieces of clam with the shell... but the shell is too hard. Are mussels thinner like a snail shell?
Ivy424
Puffer Fry

Post by Ivy424 »

I’m just checking in about this post. I’m interested in having a pea puffer but would like to know if I can give it freeze dried snails instead of live. Any substitute suggestions are greatly appreciated. Also any links for where I can buy anything specific would be great. Thank you in advance!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

You can--actually DPs don't really need snails at all, as they don't have the dentistry issues other puffer species do.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"