Stressed Puffers?

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
Bjur
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: 1 x Tetraodon nigroviridis
1 x Tetraodon fluviatilis
Location (country): Singapore

Stressed Puffers?

Post by Bjur »

Hi all. New to puffers.

Currently housing a 2" GSP and a 3" Ceylon in a 30"x15"x18" tank (going to separate them once the other similar-sized tank is fully-cycled). It is a totally freshwater tank at the moment because the LFS I got it from kept them in that. Tank is fully cycled though I have not measured the nitrate (will be getting a test kit this weekend). It has a bogwood tied with Java ferns.

The Ceylon keeps hiding in the Java fern and only coming out to feed whereas the GSP is swimming freely. I notice that the belly of both puffers are sometimes blackish. Why is it like that?

Thanks and regards.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Stressed Puffers?

Post by Pufferpunk »

[welcome]
What are your other parameters? How was the tank cycled? Possibly the more aggressive GSP is picking on the nicer Ceylon?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Bjur
Puffer Fry

Post by Bjur »

Hi. What other water parameters do you need? Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0. pH is about 7.6-7.8.

Tank was cycled using existing medias (from a few healthy tanks that I have been running since March this year) mixed with new medias. Left it running without any fish inside for about 10 days and when Nitrate is zero, I changed about 70% of the water slowly and left it to sit for a day before purchasing my GSP.

Then 2 weeks later, I did an impulse buy on this Ceylon and since I do not have any tank ready and they share the same water conditions, I decided to put them together until the other tank is ready.

Thanks and regards.
yunachin
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: 1x A. Meleagris (Golden)
2x Tetraodon nigroviridis
1x Tetraodon lineatus
1x A. hispidus
2x Takifugu Ocellatus
9x Tetraodon biocellatus
1x Canthigaster solandri
1x Diodon Holocanthus
2x A. nigropunctatus
1x Tetraodon miurus
1x Irrubesco
Location (country): USA

Post by yunachin »

Do the belly colors seem to change? Like from dark to light or do they stay dark? Puffers will darken themselves upon sleeping and can change their colors depending on mood.
E.Ridgeway
Bjur
Puffer Fry

Post by Bjur »

Hi. They change. So is there anything I should be concerned about?

Thanks and regards.
yunachin
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: 1x A. Meleagris (Golden)
2x Tetraodon nigroviridis
1x Tetraodon lineatus
1x A. hispidus
2x Takifugu Ocellatus
9x Tetraodon biocellatus
1x Canthigaster solandri
1x Diodon Holocanthus
2x A. nigropunctatus
1x Tetraodon miurus
1x Irrubesco
Location (country): USA

Post by yunachin »

If it changes from white to black or visa/versa, then don't be concerned. Normal behavior unless its a constant dark color. :)
E.Ridgeway
pufferpuggirl
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: Puffs & Stuff:

1 x M Abei
1 x M Turgidus
1 x T Palembangensis
1 x M Baileyii
1 x T Schoutedeni
1 x T Leiurus
1 x T Miurus
Rainbow crab
crayfish
Location (country): Yorkshire, GB

Post by pufferpuggirl »

Bjur wrote:Hi. What other water parameters do you need? Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0. pH is about 7.6-7.8.

Tank was cycled using existing medias (from a few healthy tanks that I have been running since March this year) mixed with new medias. Left it running without any fish inside for about 10 days and when Nitrate is zero, I changed about 70% of the water slowly and left it to sit for a day before purchasing my GSP.

Then 2 weeks later, I did an impulse buy on this Ceylon and since I do not have any tank ready and they share the same water conditions, I decided to put them together until the other tank is ready.

Thanks and regards.

I'm just concerned because you've stated that your nitrate is "zero". You cannot have "0" nitrate and have a cycled tank. Are you sure about that reading? If your tank is cycled, you should be showing some nitrate reading.
And just so you know, Ceylons like to have some cover, they need a place where they can feel secure. Mine hide under the filter case, and also under some caves that I've made them. So that's not so unusual. And as long as their bellies aren't staying dark, that's not so unusual either because my GSP's and my Ceylons occasionally have dark bellies, but they always go back to being white.
"Puffer .... man's best friend?"
Bjur
Puffer Fry

Post by Bjur »

Hi there. Sorry about that. I got the 2 mixed up. What I meant was NO2 (Nitrite) because I do not have any NO3 (Nitrate) test kits with me. Thanks for pointing that out. My Ceylon keeps hiding in the Java ferns. Will provide some caves for them in the near future.

Regards.
Dadof4
Tech Team
My Puffers: 1 GSP (Microfiche) RIP, 1 Monotrete Turgidus (Leon) in a 30gal. 1 Monotrete suvattii in a 40 gal FW. 120 gallon BW with 3 juvenile Dragon Gobies (so cool). 55 gal with a 2" GSP named Hank. 180 gallon being set up for a Fahaka in the next few months!
Location (country): United States

Post by Dadof4 »

During the time between adding the filter media and adding the fish, what did you use for an ammonia source?
"Darwin swings...annnnnnd a miss. Boy Jim, Chuck's suffered at the plate tonight. He's 0 for 3 and I'm not sure he's recovered from that shoulder pull a few weeks ago. I'll bet the front office is re-thinking that contract."
Bjur
Puffer Fry

Post by Bjur »

Hi. I dose Ammonia bicarbonate powder.

Regards.