Young GSP's in full marine?

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
jmanglona
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

Re: Young GSP's in full marine?

Post by jmanglona »

Get a GSP scientist to tell you what works and what doesnt (brackish water in general). But wait there arent any here. Feed them as much variety as you can...and what you can afford. They will live happily probably better than where you got them from. Take much with a grain of salt. Big aquarium and meaty food should do you fine. Oh yeah, and alot of filtration. Plain and simple.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Actually, many of our Mentors here ARE scientists. ;)
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
geronimo69
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Fahaka Puffer "tetraodon lineatus"
Location (country): Canada

Post by geronimo69 »

Pufferpunk wrote:Actually, many of our Mentors here ARE scientists. ;)

That's right!

The rest of us (mainly me) are just self proclaimed "know-it-alls" :P
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish."
Mark Twain
"Fish recognize a bad leader."
Conan O'Brien
mrswiss420
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Jerry my Green Spotted puffer. He is 2in living in a 30gal tank by himself. Right now his tank has a specific gravity of ~1.009.

Post by mrswiss420 »

I have friends with medium-large GSP's (one small one) and they say their fish do AMAZING in full marine...regardless of maturity

Here is my GSP in his 30gal with a specific gravity of ~1.010 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxDKwL2rWjM
I can hold my breath for a minute or so,five days without food is as long as i'll go, I didn't sleep once for four days and three nights, I once didn't stop for seven red lights, I jumped into water that's fifty degrees, I've rowed in a kayak in thirty foot seas, I've stayed in the woods for a week with a knife, a flint, when i lost it, nearly cost me my life,
Twenty years later, I'm still upside down.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxDKwL2rWjM---check out Jerry
purplecandle
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: Currently
2 Adult Green Spotted Puffers
1 Fangs Puffer
1 Baby Green Spotted Puffer
Location (country): USA (NC)

Post by purplecandle »

jmanglona wrote:Get a GSP scientist to tell you what works and what doesnt (brackish water in general). But wait there arent any here. Feed them as much variety as you can...and what you can afford. They will live happily probably better than where you got them from. Take much with a grain of salt. Big aquarium and meaty food should do you fine. Oh yeah, and alot of filtration. Plain and simple.
:geezer: <-- This is what one of our scientists looks like
FADE2BLACK_1973
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: Fahaka (Tetraodon lineatus)

Once owned:
Congo (Tetraodon miurus) R.I.P
GSP's
Figure 8's
SAP
DP's
Stars and Stripes
Porcupine puffers
Yellow long horn Cowfish
Striped Burrfish
Location (country): United States of America

Post by FADE2BLACK_1973 »

purplecandle wrote:
jmanglona wrote:Get a GSP scientist to tell you what works and what doesnt (brackish water in general). But wait there arent any here. Feed them as much variety as you can...and what you can afford. They will live happily probably better than where you got them from. Take much with a grain of salt. Big aquarium and meaty food should do you fine. Oh yeah, and alot of filtration. Plain and simple.
:geezer: <-- This is what one of our scientists looks like

HAHAHAHA!!! that's too funny, PC..... :lol:
Chris,

He who knows best knows how little he knows - Thomas Jefferson
FADE2BLACK_1973
Mbu Puffer

Once owned:
GSP's
Figure 8's
SAP
DP's
Stars and Stripes
Porcupine puffers
Yellow long horn Cowfish
Striped Burrfish

geronimo69 wrote:
Pufferpunk wrote:Actually, many of our Mentors here ARE scientists. ;)

That's right!

The rest of us (mainly me) are just self proclaimed "know-it-alls" :P
HAHAHA! now that's funny too...lol. Well at least you admit it and don't forget a forum rebel..lol.
Chris,

jmanglona
Puffer Fry

Post by jmanglona »

The life span of a GSP has minimal requirements from what I have researched. I have read of GSPs dying prematurely from both marine and brackish conditions. So what exactly kills these fish.

I don't know. I'm not an expert , and I don't claim to be one. But the best bet is to RESEARCH, not just within this forum, but from much general research throughout the web. Just as people go from one doctor to anothor seeking out various opinions, so should serious fish keepers. Opinions should be taken lightly.

Sure there are people with more knowledge than others in this forum, but that in no way qualifies them as an expert. Not even actual EXPERTS may have an answer.

I think the best advice you can be given is to research, research, and rearch some more, and become your own expert.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

My guess those puffers died of poor water conditions, than anything else. You start going to other forums, you're going to get a lot of bad advice. We have a group here of the top pufferkeepers in the world. Especially the Mentors, who many are highly published scientists.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

mrswiss420
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Jerry my Green Spotted puffer. He is 2in living in a 30gal tank by himself. Right now his tank has a specific gravity of ~1.009.

Post by mrswiss420 »

Pufferpunk wrote:My guess those puffers died of poor water conditions, than anything else. You start going to other forums, you're going to get a lot of bad advice. We have a group here of the top pufferkeepers in the world. Especially the Mentors, who many are highly published scientists.

That's right! We are all geniuses!
I can hold my breath for a minute or so,five days without food is as long as i'll go, I didn't sleep once for four days and three nights, I once didn't stop for seven red lights, I jumped into water that's fifty degrees, I've rowed in a kayak in thirty foot seas, I've stayed in the woods for a week with a knife, a flint, when i lost it, nearly cost me my life,
FADE2BLACK_1973
Mbu Puffer

Once owned:
GSP's
Figure 8's
SAP
DP's
Stars and Stripes
Porcupine puffers
Yellow long horn Cowfish
Striped Burrfish

jmanglona wrote:The life span of a GSP has minimal requirements from what I have researched. I have read of GSPs dying prematurely from both marine and brackish conditions. So what exactly kills these fish.

I don't know. I'm not an expert , and I don't claim to be one. But the best bet is to RESEARCH, not just within this forum, but from much general research throughout the web. Just as people go from one doctor to anothor seeking out various opinions, so should serious fish keepers. Opinions should be taken lightly.

Sure there are people with more knowledge than others in this forum, but that in no way qualifies them as an expert. Not even actual EXPERTS may have an answer.

I think the best advice you can be given is to research, research, and rearch some more, and become your own expert.

Well Im sure not an expert but do like to help others if I feel like I can help. I do alot of reseaching myself and always did. That's why I joined this forum because it is the best puffer site on here after reseaching alot and found the most and best info from this site, imo. I always believed the best advice are from more experienced keepers. I believe there are alot here. Not trying to suck up to anyone because I have my disagreements here on certain subjects at times while agreeing on others at other times.
Chris,

purplecandle
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: Currently
2 Adult Green Spotted Puffers
1 Fangs Puffer
1 Baby Green Spotted Puffer
Location (country): USA (NC)

Post by purplecandle »

So many Faults in Logic!
jmanglona wrote:The life span of a GSP has minimal requirements from what I have researched. I have read of GSPs dying prematurely from both marine and brackish conditions. So what exactly kills these fish. - So fish dying is proof of nothing or something, which is it? How are we supposed to determine that salinity had anything to do with their deaths?

I don't know. I'm not an expert , and I don't claim to be one. That's why your opinion on GSP water chemistry is erroneous. But the best bet is to RESEARCH, not just within this forum, but from much general research throughout the web. Just as people go from one doctor to anothor seeking out various opinions-Yes, but when the doctors agree we have a diagnosis!, so should serious fish keepers.- That is what experts here did, research in fancy places like labs and in the wild. Opinions should be taken lightly. Opinions should be taken lightly, but opinions based on sciences, facts, observation, and tested theories are a little bit different than plain ol' opinions.

Sure there are people with more knowledge than others in this forum, but that in no way qualifies them as an expert- Yes it does. Definition of expert "having or showing knowledge and skill and aptitude". What did you think an expert was? Not even actual EXPERTS may have an answer. True, but most of the time they do, which is why they are experts.

I think the best advice you can be given is to research, research, and rearch some more, and become your own expert. This I can agree with, however, experts are still needed for self-education. Where should self-educators get their information? Perhaps they should ignore the work of others and just make stuff up?
mrswiss420
Puffer Fry

Post by mrswiss420 »

purplecandle wrote:So many Faults in Logic!
jmanglona wrote:The life span of a GSP has minimal requirements from what I have researched. I have read of GSPs dying prematurely from both marine and brackish conditions. So what exactly kills these fish. - So fish dying is proof of nothing or something, which is it? How are we supposed to determine that salinity had anything to do with their deaths?

I don't know. I'm not an expert , and I don't claim to be one. That's why your opinion on GSP water chemistry is erroneous. But the best bet is to RESEARCH, not just within this forum, but from much general research throughout the web. Just as people go from one doctor to anothor seeking out various opinions-Yes, but when the doctors agree we have a diagnosis!, so should serious fish keepers.- That is what experts here did, research in fancy places like labs and in the wild. Opinions should be taken lightly. Opinions should be taken lightly, but opinions based on sciences, facts, observation, and tested theories are a little bit different than plain ol' opinions.

Sure there are people with more knowledge than others in this forum, but that in no way qualifies them as an expert- Yes it does. Definition of expert "having or showing knowledge and skill and aptitude". What did you think an expert was? Not even actual EXPERTS may have an answer. True, but most of the time they do, which is why they are experts.

I think the best advice you can be given is to research, research, and rearch some more, and become your own expert. This I can agree with, however, experts are still needed for self-education. Where should self-educators get their information? Perhaps they should ignore the work of others and just make stuff up?

pwned
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

LOL, PC--RIGHT ON!!!

Mac Myers
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: 3 Dwarf Puffers
Location (country): Palm Harbor, Florida USA

Post by Mac Myers »

I've just been introduced to the world of puffers and after much independent research and time on every site I could find remotely pufferish.... I can confidently state that this site has better info, more info agreed upon by more experienced keepers, better info, better info, more info, and better info. There are more contributing members with IQ's above average and less 40 watt bulbs in 100 watt sockets. Oh... and better info. The fewer experienced members the smaller the knowledge pool and the increased chance that the pool is actually empty. Which means info that is not better.

I'm bailing on the other sites. Because this site has better info.