Any ideas why my puffers died?

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
harmjoy
Puffer Fry

Re: Any ideas why my puffers died?

Post by harmjoy »

When you say "feed the snails". You mean "feed the puffers snails", right? I'm sure that's what you meant. I had recently gotten a bunch of snails from the pet store. Maybe my puffers got some bad ones. If my snails are diseased, would the snails just die in 4 weeks letting me know it was a bad idea? I think I'm still not quite clued in to what to look for in a quarantined tank. Is there some kind of treatment for a snail tank to get rid of disease?
Myaj
Tech Team
My Puffers: Bubba, turgidus
Paris, lined burrfish

Post by Myaj »

I remember reading a few years back that most crustaceans aren't themselves affected by any parasites/diseases that can affect fish, but there is a chance they might carry something in in their water, or shells, etc.

Pretty much any standard parasite will die off after 4 weeks with no (fish) host, so 4 weeks is a pretty safe "standard" quarantine period. Plus it gives your snails some time to grow, breed and provide you with more snails so you don't have to buy more as soon.
harmjoy
Puffer Fry

Post by harmjoy »

Ah! Okay. That is great information. Thank you.
StormySkiez
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 55G 2- 1 3/4 inch GSP's ~Bud AKA Jaws and Puff~

Post by StormySkiez »

harmjoy wrote:When you say "feed the snails". You mean "feed the puffers snails", right? I'm sure that's what you meant. I had recently gotten a bunch of snails from the pet store. Maybe my puffers got some bad ones. If my snails are diseased, would the snails just die in 4 weeks letting me know it was a bad idea? I think I'm still not quite clued in to what to look for in a quarantined tank. Is there some kind of treatment for a snail tank to get rid of disease?
Yes, That is what I meant. You look for anything that might look like a sign of a problem. There are sites that show different ailments snails might have and how to resolve the issue. I don't remember reading there was any ailment that could transfer from the snail to the fish. You don't here of problems from snails much. I have never seen any problems with my snails. It seems to be rare. My biggest concern was like Myaj said, I didn't want any disease transfered from the snails being in unhealthy tanks from my LFS to my healthy puffers. I know they had some big issues in their tanks for a while.
55g-2 green spotted puffers 1 year old Nov 08!
20g-5 leopard danio,4 whiteskirt tetras, amanos, nerita snails, 2 neon tetras
Oceangirl7
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

Post by Oceangirl7 »

I felt such a dejavu reading the post about loosing puffers. Have had aquariums for years and did not go into the puffer ownership blind. Only difference in I have a 50 gallon set up and cycled. Had 3 that quickly became 2 now 1. Water parameters are perfect. Tank is clean and they have no wounds or abnormal behaviors. Nitrates are not the issue. I also have a 100+ tank with parrots etc so have had reverse osmosis in place for water for a long time. I am heartsick and tiredness trying to talk to the petstore folks who actually had figure 8 in with lepards... so frustrated. We fish folks get attached to these.little guys and when they die and we cannot explain it it hurts... sign me frustrated puffer mom with 1 lone puffer left.