New set up

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
Dadof4
Tech Team
My Puffers: 1 GSP (Microfiche) RIP, 1 Monotrete Turgidus (Leon) in a 30gal. 1 Monotrete suvattii in a 40 gal FW. 120 gallon BW with 3 juvenile Dragon Gobies (so cool). 55 gal with a 2" GSP named Hank. 180 gallon being set up for a Fahaka in the next few months!
Location (country): United States

New set up

Post by Dadof4 »

Hi,
I am about to set up my new 30 gallon for 1 GSP and bought a new filter, Marineland C360. I currently have a Fluval 405 running on a FW 75 gallon tropical tank. Would it make sense and speed up the cycling process to take the 405 to the new tank? I have space concerns with the C360 and the 405 is half the size. Both have the same flow rate/filtration rate, I'm just worried about the bacteria need.

Thanks
"Darwin swings...annnnnnd a miss. Boy Jim, Chuck's suffered at the plate tonight. He's 0 for 3 and I'm not sure he's recovered from that shoulder pull a few weeks ago. I'll bet the front office is re-thinking that contract."
Nick
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Mine:
GSPs - Shakespeare and Jillybean
F8 - Velvet
My fiance:
DP - Emma Goldman
Narrow Lined Puffer - Ulrike
Location (country): Northeastern USA

Re: New set up

Post by Nick »

If you start the tank at FW or nearly freshwater, and put the new filter on the freshwater tank while simultaneously putting the fluval 405 on the puffer tank, it should be cycled from the start.
No matter how magnificent your successes or devastating your failures, the worlds' approximately 5 billion impoverished people could not possibly care less.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Keep both filters on the tank for 2 months & then remove the old one or try getting the filter material form the established filter into the new one.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Jay.B.
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: 1 x Tetraodon Nigroviridis
1 x Canthigaster Papua
1 x Centropyge flavipectoralis
1 x Echidna nebulosa
1 x Pair of black Amphiprion Ocellaris
1 x Fusigobius neophytus

Post by Jay.B. »

Definitely the quickest way to start would be to swap SOME of the matured media from the 405 in to the C360 and start the tank fresh water
Then get kitted up with your salt and a hydrometer/refractometer and up the SG by no more than 0.002 per week so you don't kill the bacteria

Most GSPs are either in fresh water or in 1.005 in the stores, so make sure you find out what he's in.
If he's in fresh water, in the store, then go get the little fellow and make the transition up to brackish with him in the tank.
If he's in brackish water, in the store, raise your salinity over a couple or three weeks and then get him.
little addition, you could actually start at an SG of 1.002 in both cases.
:)