New GSP Owner

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
Socrates
Puffer Fry

New GSP Owner

Post by Socrates »

Hey there! I just bought a Green Spotted Puffer today and I had a couple questions. I bought my tank pretty recently, and set it up about a week before I bought the puffer. The tank had been previously used, and it was just emptied when I bought it, so the gravel and filter had already matured and had a healthy population of nitrifying bacteria. Just to be sure, I did pH and ammonia tests. The pH came out as 7.0 and the ammonia was a happy 0, so I decided to get some fish. I'm not completely new to fishkeeping, since I have some vague childhood memories of my dad's 40 gallon community tank, and remember helping my dad set up a ten gallon when I was about 12 or so. I'm the type of person that spends about a week becoming a total aquarist addict, reading everything I could so I'm ready. So I set up my 29 gallon tank, with some gravel, plastic plants, a filter, and a heater. After that, I visited some fish stores to take a gander at prices and the livestock available. I fell in love with some F8 puffers at a not-so-convenient-to-reach-but-wondrous fish store, but decided to further peruse my options. I went to two other stores. One didn't carry any puffers at all, and the other had a tank full of juvenile F8s and GSPs together, labelled singularly as 'Green Puffers'. I avoided the tank at first, since it was obviously overcrowded, to the point where every single puffer's tail was somewhat ragged, probably from each other's bites. Other than their tail fins though, they seemed to be in perfect condition. A couple days later, I decided to get a single GSP instead of 2 F8's, so returned to the store with the F8/GSP tank. I bought a bunch of plastic plants, a chunk of driftwood, some additional gravel, and a cute little GSP. When I asked the store what they fed him, they told me frozen blood worms. Since I already had some of those in my freezer at home (my sister had a fish tank), I decided to pick up frozen brine shrimp instead, for variety. At this point, I knew that GSPs needed to eat hard-shelled foods. I thought that was fine, since my fish tank had a total infestation of snails. It was only later, after I bought the GSP (whom I named Socrates) that I realized that the snails were Malaysian Trumpet Snails, which isn't so good for them. No wonder he only bit at them and knocked them off the tank walls, instead of eating them. Anyways, by the time Socrates was inside my tank, I had dumped about 1/2 (1 teaspoon per gallon) of aquarium salt in. Again, it was only after he was in that I realized that I should have used marine salt, not aquarium salt. I didn't have a hydrometer nor the money to pick one up now, anyways. Now that I've been watching him for a bit (he seems healthy, and the top of his head is bright yellow, which I heard means he's happy), I have a couple questions.

1) What snails should I buy to feed him? I know they sell juvenile apple snails at the aquarium where I bought him, but they're a tad on the pricey side. Just under three bucks for a single one, if I recall correctly. If the snail is bigger than him, is that okay? And what snails are easy to breed?
2) Will frozen blood worms and brine shrimp, supplemented by the occasional snail, prawn, or scallop be an alright diet?
3) If the top of his head is bright yellow, is that a good thing?
4) He isn't very active when I'm not around. When I enter the room, I usually find him lying on the gravel, but when I turn on the light and sit and watch him, he gets up and swims around. Is that normal?
5) He likes to 'pace' up and down against the tank glass, though not necessarily in my direction. What does that mean? If it means he's bored, how do I help that? Rearranging the decor in my tank is not an option. I have a fair amount of plastic plants and a big chunk of bogwood.
6) When I bought the tank, it came with some guppies. I've had a single male guppy and two female guppies (one of which I suspect to be pregnant) in there before him, and although I thought they'd be pieces of flesh when he was around (I didn't really care for them anyways, they were mainly to cycle the tank which ended up not needing it anyways), but he's completely ignored them. What should I do with them? I don't really care whether they stay or go.
7) Will another GSP fit in the 30 gallon? It's rather tempting, seeing as the tank looks so empty, but I won't go against good advice.
8 ) Is there a general rule of how much marine salt to add per gallon? I'd really rather not get a hydrometer unless it's REALLY necessary.
9) If I find him lying on the gravel with a somewhat darker skin tone, is that normal? Is he sleeping?
10) It's basically impossible to clear the infestation of Malaysian Trumpet Snails. I'm not too worried about him cracking his beak (it seems like a rare occurance, like a dog choking on a bone), but are they dangerous in any way?
11) I want to feed him gut-loaded Ghost Shrimp, but my LFSes only carry Amano Algae-Eating Shrimp. They're rather expensive to buy as puffer fodder, so is there any way to breed them?
12) Any advice for mending his slightly ragged tail? It doesn’t look like it’s rotting or infected, it just looks…ragged. I’m sure it’ll heal up with time, but anything to speed it along?

Thanks for all the advice, guys! :D
puff_love
Dwarf Puffer

Re: New GSP Owner

Post by puff_love »

Well I feed mine beefheart, and bloodworms mainly, but i have some clams that i pull out of the shell and feed them and they love em. I get some snails from the LFS for 10 cents a piece and throw those in and they are gone within seconds. About the salt I'm new to that too but I bought a hydrometer. I know there are articles on here about the mixture.
t1gerbee
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1 x Ceylon + 1 x GSP + 1 x stars and stripes (juv) -Marine
(Non puffs-)
4 x clowns
1 x Oscar-Tropical
3 x Convicts-Tropical
1 x Map Turtle-tropical
2 x Plecs-Tropical
2 x goldfish

Post by t1gerbee »

NOT SHOUTING, JUST EASIER TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTIONS LIKE THIS....

1) What snails should I buy to feed him? I know they sell juvenile apple snails at the aquarium where I bought him, but they're a tad on the pricey side. Just under three bucks for a single one, if I recall correctly. If the snail is bigger than him, is that okay? And what snails are easy to breed?
SOMEONE IN THE STATES CAN ANSWER THIS BETTER.

2) Will frozen blood worms and brine shrimp, supplemented by the occasional snail, prawn, or scallop be an alright diet?
IT WOULD BE BETTER TO BE THE OTHER WAY ROUND. LOTS OF CRUNCHY STUFF AND BRINE SHRIMP / BLOOD WORM TO MAKE UP THE VARIETY.

3) If the top of his head is bright yellow, is that a good thing?
IT'S THE WHITE BELLY THAT IS THE BEST INDICATION OF HEALTH. GENERAL BRIGHT COLOURS ARE GOOD, BUT WHITE BELLY IS THE KEY.

4) He isn't very active when I'm not around. When I enter the room, I usually find him lying on the gravel, but when I turn on the light and sit and watch him, he gets up and swims around. Is that normal?
I DON'T THINK THAT LYING ON THE GRAVEL IS VERY GOOD. CHECK WATER PARAMETERS, ALL OF THEM. AMMONIA, NITRATE, NITRITES, PH...
IF YOU LET THE GRAVEL AND FILTER DRY OUT WHEN YOU GOT THE TANK THEN THE BACTERIA THAT HAD BUILT UP PREVIOUSLY WOULD HAVE DIED. YOUR TANK WOULD NEED TO BE CYCLED FROM THE START AGAIN. BIG PROBLEM FOR PUFF.

5) He likes to 'pace' up and down against the tank glass, though not necessarily in my direction. What does that mean? If it means he's bored, how do I help that? Rearranging the decor in my tank is not an option. I have a fair amount of plastic plants and a big chunk of bogwood.
HE IS NEW, HE IS WILD, HE DOESN'T UNDERSTAND WHAT BEING IN A TANK IS... HE WILL SETTLE DOWN. AS LONG AS HE HAS LOTS OF PLACES TO EXPLORE AND THE CORRECT SIZE TANK (AND GOOD WATER) HE WILL BE FINE.

6) When I bought the tank, it came with some guppies. I've had a single male guppy and two female guppies (one of which I suspect to be pregnant) in there before him, and although I thought they'd be pieces of flesh when he was around (I didn't really care for them anyways, they were mainly to cycle the tank which ended up not needing it anyways), but he's completely ignored them. What should I do with them? I don't really care whether they stay or go.
THAT'S NOT A NICE WAY TO THInK ABOUT FISH. GIVE THEM TO A LFS OR SET THEM UP IN THEIR OWN HOME. YOUR GSP IS GOING TO NEED MARINE SALT, AND THAT WILL KILL THE GUPPIES.

7) Will another GSP fit in the 30 gallon? It's rather tempting, seeing as the tank looks so empty, but I won't go against good advice.
NO. ONE HAPPY FISH IS BETTER THAN TWO DEAD ONES.

8 ) Is there a general rule of how much marine salt to add per gallon? I'd really rather not get a hydrometer unless it's REALLY necessary.
IT CHANGES DEPENDING ON YOUR WATER, I'VE TRIED GETTING AN AAVERAGE BUT NO ONE AGREES AS EVERYONE'S WATER IS DIFFERENT. YOU CAN GET A FLOATING HYDROMETER FOR A FEW POUNDS/DOLLARS. CHEAPER THAN PAYING FOR A NEW FISH I BET.

9) If I find him lying on the gravel with a somewhat darker skin tone, is that normal? Is he sleeping?
NO. HE IS NOT HAPPY. CHECK WATER PARAMETERS, AND DO A WATER CHANGE NOW.

10) It's basically impossible to clear the infestation of Malaysian Trumpet Snails. I'm not too worried about him cracking his beak (it seems like a rare occurance, like a dog choking on a bone), but are they dangerous in any way?
WAIT FOR BETTER ADVICE FROM PEOPLE WHO KNOW ABOUT SNAILS.

11) I want to feed him gut-loaded Ghost Shrimp, but my LFSes only carry Amano Algae-Eating Shrimp. They're rather expensive to buy as puffer fodder, so is there any way to breed them?
?

12) Any advice for mending his slightly ragged tail? It doesn’t look like it’s rotting or infected, it just looks…ragged. I’m sure it’ll heal up with time, but anything to speed it along?
MELAFIX. GOOD WATER. BEING KEPT ON HIS OWN. GOOD DIET

Good luck with it, please check your water.. i'm sure it's not as cycled as you think...
1 x 90G Juv stars and stripes puffer, Ceylon Puffer + GSP + 2 black clowns
1 x 30G LPS Reef
1 x 30G 1 x Blind goldfish :-)
StormySkiez
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 55G 2- 1 3/4 inch GSP's ~Bud AKA Jaws and Puff~

Post by StormySkiez »

Welcome to the site. Researching is the best way for you to learn about your new friend.

I agree with t1gerbee.

You need to take the guppies out and find a home for them asap.

As for feeding...My two baby gsp's get fed medium size raw shrimp hand fed, freeze dried blood worms once a week, freeze dried krill once a week, hand fed cooked snow crab (for the hard shell to help keep teeth trimmed). Pond snails (self Breed) once in a while.

Be sure if you feed the snow crab to feed the small end of the leg to them, otherwise you will have a lot of crab meat dropping out, dirtying the tank. The idea is for them to chew on the shell some to get to the meat.

I will be adding raw shell on oysters to their diet this week. Personally I don't like the prepared frozen food they sell for fish. They are expensive and seemed to create a lot of waste from the food being missed by the puffer and falling to the bottom of the tank.

I'm sorry I don't know how to get rid of the trumpet snails. IMO I wouldn't want to risk cracking my puffs teeth.

I have to baby gsp's in a 55 g tank and have had one bite already, may have had 2 bites. If I knew this was going happen I never would have put 2 gsp's together. My husband does not want to give away one of our gsp's although I believe it would be the best thing to do.
55g-2 green spotted puffers 1 year old Nov 08!
20g-5 leopard danio,4 whiteskirt tetras, amanos, nerita snails, 2 neon tetras
Socrates
Puffer Fry

Post by Socrates »

Beefheart? Isn't that too much meat for them? They're not piscivores, are they?

And thanks for the advice you two. The guppies will be transferred to a new home ASAP. I'm worried though - today I fed him for the first time since I got him, 24 hours later. I thawed out a cube of frozen blood worms. He completely ignored him, even though the shop fed him frozen blood worms. Should I have thawed them, or just put them in frozen? He didn't seem to see them, or even notice them, even though they fell all around him. I checked his eyes - they seem healthy.
StormySkiez
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 55G 2- 1 3/4 inch GSP's ~Bud AKA Jaws and Puff~

Post by StormySkiez »

Socrates wrote:
The guppies will be transferred to a new home ASAP...
Glad to hear that.
Socrates wrote:
... today I fed him for the first time since I got him, 24 hours later. I thawed out a cube of frozen blood worms. He completely ignored him, even though the shop fed him frozen blood worms. Should I have thawed them
Yes, the frozen food does need to be thawed. Some soak the puffs food in fish vitamins while thawing. I use the fish tank water to thaw with. I have the same problem with feeding frozen thawed fish food. We tried frozen brine shrimp. They did not show any interest in it. It all dropped to the bottom of the tank. It's a hassel for me to shave off the correct amount of food from the frozen cube, I decided not to use it for now.

Something that has helped when I feed is I now turn my filter down all the way to keep the current from pushing the fish food down to the bottom of the tank. That has helped a lot when I feed freeze dried bloodworms. Remember to soak all freeze dried foods before feeding to puffs because the freeze dried food is filled with air/bad for a puffer.

You might want to offer something else next feeding. Also, your new fish might need time to adjust.

I don't know anything about feeding beefheart....

If he continues not to eat I would check the water parameters again.
55g-2 green spotted puffers 1 year old Nov 08!
20g-5 leopard danio,4 whiteskirt tetras, amanos, nerita snails, 2 neon tetras
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

I agree about checking more of your water parameters, as per above--your tank may not be as cycled as you think.

I dissagree with feeding ANY fish beefheart. It is not a natural food for any species of fish (maybe a pirahana). When on earth would a fish come across a cow's heart in their natural environment (even a pirahana would have to dig really deep)?

I disagree that just because a puffer is dark or sitting the substrate, it is sick. It could just be sleeping. If it perks up & lighten when you approach the tank, it is probably not sick.

Everything else is pretty good advice. Although adding the aqquarium salt is better than the FW it was in, to make BW, you must use marine salt & measure it with a hydrometer that starts at 1.000.

You can change out the "sated" water for BW, as you do your weekly 50% water changes.

See the GSP article in our Library for more info.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Socrates
Puffer Fry

Post by Socrates »

You guys are great. My GSP has finally started eating blood worms pretty actively, to the point where his little white belly pouches out a bit. I've yet to feed him snails, but I guess I'll go try to breed some Ramshorn snails. How would I go about feeding him human seafood? Should I just drop a clam in there?
yunachin
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: 1x A. Meleagris (Golden)
2x Tetraodon nigroviridis
1x Tetraodon lineatus
1x A. hispidus
2x Takifugu Ocellatus
9x Tetraodon biocellatus
1x Canthigaster solandri
1x Diodon Holocanthus
2x A. nigropunctatus
1x Tetraodon miurus
1x Irrubesco
Location (country): USA

Post by yunachin »

You can give it a go. My GSP's eat mussels all the time. They love it. Just open it up for them. :)
E.Ridgeway
Socrates
Puffer Fry

Post by Socrates »

Everything's going pretty good so far. I've bought some Livebearer/Brackish salt for them and am trying to slowly raise the salinity of the tank. I also bought some frozen half-shell baby clams specifically intended for aquarium use, and put about three of those in his tank. The only bad thing is that I've only seen him eat once - he (guessing at the genders here) seems to be shy. I can tell he's eaten though, since if I come back an hour alter his belly will be bulging out. I think the MTS infection might also be dying, probably from lack of food. I haven't seen them come up for days, and I see their half-dissolved shells everywhere.
Jase
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: RIP Hootey :(
Location (country): USA

Post by Jase »

when I feed mine clams/oyster, I remove nearly all the meat. depending on the size of the clam and puffer that is, but you don't want him to over eat. plus you want him to have to chew the shell a bit for his teeth.
-Jase
edmlfc1 wrote:A house without a puffer is not a home. :D
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

You are using the wrong kind of salt for a BW fish. You must use marine salt. Please be sure to read the GSP article in our Library.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Socrates
Puffer Fry

Post by Socrates »

It said on the package that it can be used for brackish water, though not marine water.
pufferfreak
Mbu Puffer
Location (country): U.S.A.

Post by pufferfreak »

thats strange.
pufferfreak
Mbu Puffer
Location (country): U.S.A.

Post by pufferfreak »

i guess but i use aquatic gardens marine salt for my tanks.