Question about breeding Suvatti

Are your puffers feeling a little naughty & lil ones are the result? Post your findings here!
Leigh
Puffer Fry

Question about breeding Suvatti

Post by Leigh »

I have had a look around, but its late and I could be blind...can anyone point me to info on breeding Suvatti....my Suvatti, which are some of Rockers first batch of captive born puffers.They are 6 months old now and still seem like babies, get on really well and often huddle on top of one and another. They are now about 2 inches, feeding really well, and are stunners.

However one has started blowing slate in the tank.

A couple of weeks ago i added some new low level planting at the front of the tank and moved in a small slate. This week the larger of the 2 had a small accident involving eating to much prawn and hiding in a corner when another bit of slate got knocked by him and pinned him in the corner.

He is fine, but i moved the slate flat in the front of the tank and rearranged the rocks and plants.

Today my hubby phoned me at work to say he was an odd pink color and making a funny noise. Turned out he was blowing on the rock and moving gravel about.

Could they be about to start breeding? I'm sure they must still be too young atm but seriously hoping I'm wrong!!!
Hilly
Mentor
My Puffers: Current: Tetraodon Lineatus
Previous:
Tetraodon Sabahensis
Montrete Abei
Tetraodon Biocellatus
Carinotetraodon Salivator
Location (country): UK

Post by Hilly »

Rockers and Rina's threads on their Suvatti are in the Puffer Breeding section.
http://www.thepufferforum.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=40
Hilly
Rocker
Former Staff Member

Post by Rocker »

Puffers blow gravel/sand for a few reasons.
Firstly they blow the area prior to a head first attemp at burying themselves.
They also blow the substrate when searching for food.
Another reason is during courtship. As you say it is the slate rather than the substrate then this would indicate from my observations that it is courtship.
What does confuse me though is the age of the puffers. I would have thought it was a little early for them to start this.

edit

I have re read your post and unsure whether he was blowing the substrate or the slate.
Image Some call it a product of a mis-spent youth, I call it Rock n Roll ! Image
Leigh
Puffer Fry

Post by Leigh »

Rocker he is blowing both the gravel and the slate at different times.

He had another go last night, and then seems to have stopped now.
I wonder if as they are so young they are just practicing there skills for when they are old enough.

I will try to get some photo's of them this week and post...would be interested to see if its possible to clearly sex them. I think I have a pair but not utterly convinced.