My Puffer Tank - Breeding

Are your puffers feeling a little naughty & lil ones are the result? Post your findings here!
Steven_askham
Puffer Fry

My Puffer Tank - Breeding

Post by Steven_askham »

I am trying to make my puffer's home much more attractive and more puffer friendly so ......

I want to make it quite planted, what would be the best fro quick growth I also would like the plants to spread out to the rest of the tank quite quickly as well.

My other question is regarding breeding. I have bred this species before (Sea Frog Puffer's) however I bought them all ready as a pair the new two I have are just male and female. What can I do to stimulate spawning ?
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

Feed them well (including a variety of live foods), keep the water quality very high, and provide at least 2x the suggested minimum tank gallonage for each fish, with multiple refuges. If a plant spawner, fine-leaf plants or Java Moss clumps should be provided in several locations. If a substrate spawner, rocks and smallish gravel areas should be provided similarly. Do the maximum practical on water changes.

When you think the fish are mature and the female is showing as gravid: If FW, lower the temp 2-4 degrees F. If BW, lower the specific gravity (slowly).
Where's the fish? - Neptune
Rocker
Former Staff Member

Post by Rocker »

Can you tell us more about the breeding success you have had?
Image Some call it a product of a mis-spent youth, I call it Rock n Roll ! Image
Steven_askham
Puffer Fry

Post by Steven_askham »

Sure, Well I saw a pair of sea frog puffer's is my lfs and it said they had spawned so I checked them out etc .... Well I decided to purchase the pair and they just spanwed in my tank one night. I didnt do much to stimulate it apart from one water change a week then re filling with cooler water and just the fodd I was feeding them. Well the male guarded the eggs for 7 days and didnt really eat much during this time. He would "Puff Up" at the female when ever she got close to the eggs. When the eggs finally hatched the fry were free swimming. The male then left them. I think He then munched on the fry as they slowly disapeared and couldnt do any thing about it. That was the only time they spawned while I had them because the male started to chase/bully the female to breed but she wasnt ready and this resulted in them both dying. I know there deaths sound strange but it has happened to other people who had a breeding pair of these fish!

So now I asked my lfs to order me a pair of the same species again and they did I took the fish home quite a while ago actually they are slowly growing up and ther eis alot of action between the male and female i.e. "puffing up" at each other. So I will have to wait and see if they will to breed