Spawning C. irrubesco

Are your puffers feeling a little naughty & lil ones are the result? Post your findings here!
nmonks
Mentor
My Puffers: Carinotetraodon irrubesco
Colomesus asellus

Spawning C. irrubesco

Post by nmonks »

Does anyone know anything about this?

I bought two a few months ago, and after a scare with a grey slime disease immediately after I bought them (cured by dipping each fish in seawater for 20 minutes, twice) they are now nicely settled in. The female has grown very rapidly, increasing in size by about 30% in three weeks, and has gone from being much smaller than the male to about the same size. She is also really round, like she's eaten a marble.

They seem to be friendly, and though each has their own half-coconut, they do spend some time curled up next to each other in the Java moss (their favourite place). When I first got them, there was a bit of chasing, but that behaviour is now practically absent.

I'd like to know if they're breedable, and if they are, what's the protocol?

Thanks!

Neale
Phaedrus
Former Staff Member

Post by Phaedrus »

Dinner and a movie? :p
OraLacerta
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Tetraodon biocellatus.
RIP: C. travancoricus, Chilomycterus schoepfi. Canthigaster jactator.
Location (country): USA

Post by OraLacerta »

Lol... good suggestion Phaedrus. Pull a TV up to the tank and put on 'Lady and the Tramp'. That and a good spaghetti dinner and they'll be spawning in no time!

:P:D

Sorry I don't have any REAL advice for you, though I do recall hearing someone on here who's puffs were spawning... Wish I could remember who. I'm sure they'll find this thread though.
Fella
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by Fella »

Further to this post, one of the females I have is acting listless, has a slightly yellow stomach with a visible bulge (from the side and above) and she can't rest, she's chasing glass like an SAP would.

I'm open to advice.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Sorry, I do want to get in on this thread (have spawned lortetis), but too busy to tell the whole tale. I'll get to this as soon as I can find time...
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
nmonks
Mentor
My Puffers: Carinotetraodon irrubesco
Colomesus asellus

Post by nmonks »

Thanks everyone.

One interesting thing is that the male almost always burrows into the mass of Java moss on one of the half-coconut shells in the tank. The female, by contrast, goes inside the other coconut shell cave.

Pufferpunk -- I look forward to hearing more from you!

Cheers,

Neale