Successfully Breeding Fahaka Puffer

Are your puffers feeling a little naughty & lil ones are the result? Post your findings here!
kikukku
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: .
3x Mbu
4x Unknown
4x Asselus
20x Irrubesco
20x Adult Fahaka
0 Baby Fahaka
Location (country): Indonesia

Successfully Breeding Fahaka Puffer

Post by kikukku »

[Breeding and Raising the Tetraodon Lineatus]

First, i'm so sory for my terrible English grammar.
Second, i will post any details on water parameter soon

Tetraodon Lineatus aka Fahaka Puffer is the very first freswater puffer i own.

Back at 2012, I bought so many of them from local breeder (YES they have successfully bred them, and YES again, my batch has highly chance of inbreeding).
I bought around 40+10 fahakas at 2" size, and i divided with my cousin both have 25 fahakas.

I keep them altogether in a 180cm X 60cm x 60cm tank. They become like underwater dog to me, as they (the trio big one) always "dance" if anybody come near the tank begging for food.
By 2016, I have keep them for almost 4 years, at the average size of 5"-10" with the male is most likely smaller than the female one.

The forum and wiki said that they are piscivore, so agressive towards other fish and it's own species, but mine doesn't seem so. Well maybe because i keep them altogether since they are very young. They do bite each other, but only around feeding time; struggle for food. Even when my pair first mate, there are other fahakas in the same tank (just like the video i uploaded). And for additional information, i do not use any substrate, decoration or anything, only a power head inside the tank.

At the beginning of January 2015, one pair of fahaka seems acting strange, they always stay in the corner of the tank and chase away other fahaka that came close. After a while, they laid their eggs (and after so many batch, my conclusion is: always at night / with no light).
The eggs is sooo many (over than a thousand) yet sooo tiny and scattered all around the tank. The parent does not guard the eggs nor ever eat the eggs. Then i moved all fahakas include the parent away and put some Methylene blue and also set-up heater to 29C. After 1-2 days, the infertile eggs turn to white colour / covered with mold, and the fertile turn yellowish. And after 3-4days, the eggs hatch. They are soooo tiny, and i have very difficult time on feeding them (even until today after so many batch). I will post video of them. And up untill now, my best batch is only 50-ish survived.

This is all also happened at my cousin's tank. But he always fail on raising the fry, not even a single fry survived.

This is the 3old days fry, just after hatch

This is the 3old+ days fry through magnifying glass

This is the 3old+ days fry through cheap macro lens

This is how they mate

This is the MALE after mate - front (you can see his moustache lol, and at his back is the female)

This is the MALE after mate - side
Image[/URL]

The infertile eggs (white/mold), the fertile is like invisible because of the light

My very first batch, a few left T.T

mate
https://youtu.be/6Ob1lZ9zab4[/youtube]
*if doesn't shows up just visit youtu.be/6Ob1lZ9zab4

hatched
https://youtu.be/PEM7KOCqVZ8[/youtube]
*if doesn't shows up just visit youtu.be/PEM7KOCqVZ8

That's all it that i can share. About water parameter, idk how to test them.
Tell me what should i buy in order to get the water parameter, and i'll do my best. Just post the google keywords and i will search for it.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Successfully Breeding Fahaka Puffer

Post by Pufferpunk »

It's very cool that you can breed them. Most fahakas will kill each other in the process or even being near each other. See: http://www.thepufferforum.com/forum/vie ... f=40&t=151

My concern is, what will you do with all those young puffers? Certainly, there aren't hundreds of people you can sell those to who could house them properly???
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
kikukku
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: .
3x Mbu
4x Unknown
4x Asselus
20x Irrubesco
20x Adult Fahaka
0 Baby Fahaka

Post by kikukku »

@pufferpunk
Yes i've seen that thread before. Now i remember that one of my 7 pairs had done the same thing; the male beat the female. I able to removed them separately in time by the way.

And for the young puffers, i sold them in the local store and gave them to my relative with some "manual" about how to raise them correctly => Not to puff them intentionally of course

And as i said before, i only managed to raise at maximum of 50 fry of a batch (usually around 20ish). And at total of all my batch, i can only manage to raise 100ish puffers.
So right now i kept around 30ish puffers my self (not yet sold out, but i'm planning to sell them).

Right now i'm ceased to breed them and put them altogether in a pond.
The funny thing is, they won't lay eggs until the male and the female both put in the same tank.

I will post more complete about sexing and other things, soon
bang bandhoetz
Puffer Fry

Post by bang bandhoetz »

hai kikukku, i'm sure that both of use are on the same country, may i get your phone number??i need to ask some things about fahaka..thank you
adhie
powerfulthoughtz
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Buffalo, NY USA

Post by powerfulthoughtz »

I have a video with the puffers mating and I believe I have pics of eggs that they ended up eating after... even the the pic is type distorted... how can I post from my mobile device?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

You have to load it at: www.photobucket.com & then link it here.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"