Possible pregnant female Pea Puffer?

Are your puffers feeling a little naughty & lil ones are the result? Post your findings here!
Zeroboard
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

Possible pregnant female Pea Puffer?

Post by Zeroboard »

Currently have a tank with 3 females and 1 male pea puffer. As of late, I've noticed one of the female puffers is larger/more bloated than the other pea puffers (even before feeding when belly swelling has gone down from the last meal). She has also been acting easily startled and will zip around the tank very fast while none of the others are doing this. She's been hanging around one spot most of the time as well. Lastly, her colors are richer than the other females as of late, and her eyes and areas around her eyes have darkened significantly. I only posted on here seeing if anyone could connect the dots (there aren't a ton of resources online about pea puffer breeding/spawning). Thank you in advance for reading!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Possible pregnant female Pea Puffer?

Post by Pufferpunk »

Yes, it is very well possible. Try adding Java moss, they lie to lay their eggs in theat.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
AquaMike
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: *1 pea puffer (F)
*1 borneensis red-eye DP (M)
*1 palembang puffer
Location (country): CT, USA

Post by AquaMike »

Please keep us updated as I'm very curious about how this goes.
Zeroboard
Puffer Fry

Post by Zeroboard »

I will definitely keep an update on here as to what happens. Ironically, I had ordered 3 java moss stones online weeks ago and planted one of them in the pea puffer tank right before any of this started happening. Crossing fingers!
Zeroboard
Puffer Fry

Post by Zeroboard »

So not much of an update as of yet. The feisty large female has still been acting the same way. With that said, sadly, one of the other females passed (she was always very timid and was not competitive enough for food from the get go). Have been actively looking for courting behavior between the large female and the male in the meantime. If anyone has experience with DP breeding, if given the choice between private patches of substrate and a small patch of java moss will they always choose the moss? I've been looking around for eggs but given the fact that they're so small and there's debris at the bottom, it seems like discerning them would be extremely difficult.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Moss
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

Shack
Puffer Fry
Location (country): South Africa

Post by Shack »

Hello everyone, i have a little dilemma, i have two pea puffers, i have no idea how to sex them i tried lol. but i digress, i only have 2 and 1 small male guppie, the puffers one got bloated and really annoyed becAUSE or he chases the other one around the tank. what do I do? i dont have java moss but i do have a piece of wood in there and some fake plants, if only i knew how to upload a pic lol. BUT they are all too big and dont know how to make them smaller

she looks pretty uncomfortable or exposed can i add more plastic plants? will it be ok with guppie in there?

regards

Shack
Last edited by Shack on Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

You need more puffers. How large is the tank?
https://www.pufferfishenthusiastsworldw ... vancoricus