successful breeding...but now what? I have over 100!

Are your puffers feeling a little naughty & lil ones are the result? Post your findings here!
VaeK
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: 2 Abei puffers (male and female couple! ) and many many babies!
Location (country): United stated

successful breeding...but now what? I have over 100!

Post by VaeK »

Hi, I came here last yr curious about 2 puffer fish I have. Not surprised that many here knew what they were but NO luck finding any good information on them! You type in what kind and before it was little to nothing but now I'm finding info THAT I POSTED! I'm flattered of course! Even found my pictures on other fish sites! So to fill you in, I have 2 beautiful T.Abei puffers. They look a lot like red spotted but they have orange dots. Well I was lucky enough to end up with a male and female that mated...a few times! Not knowing much at all about the way puffers are with the eggs, I took the first batch out.
I started with not quite but close to 100 eggs. ..over the first week I was losing a few almost daily! (I took them out the parents tank because all I mostly had angel fish and they ate the eggs and my guppies also ate the live babies so I wanted to be sure, remember I couldn't find info) anyway, I had 6 eggs that made it and started to hatch! Yes, only 6! Well through that experienc *trial and error* I have 3 three month old healthy baby puffers! I found someone who does this q&a on a site and emailed him and despite not knowing anything about breeding Abei's, he really helped me with learning how to feed them and what not. Id like to somehow get info out there from my experiences watching these awesome fish mate and care for the eggs...I'll figure out how eventually.

My issue is, since I was told its rare to end up with more than a few babies that make it.....I decided to let them mama and daddy puff) do their thing (I kept them from breeding because a week after the first batch that I took they were at it again! With hatching brine shrimp constantly, I couldn't handle more plus it was a disaster, ill explain another time) well I listened, I even let dad do his thing for almost a week then I took them because mating colors appeared! Now I have possibly over 100 eggs ready to hatch! All have eyes and everything inside the egg is visible (that's how I know they are live) so, what do I do with these babies? I know I can go to locally owned businesses but how can I advertise to locals and even further? If anyone has any ideas please let me know! Once again, thank you fo all your help!

-Ravea

Oh if someone tells me how to post pictures, I have amazing ones id love to share!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: successful breeding...but now what? I have over 100!

Post by Pufferpunk »

Very cool! We do have a profile for that species here, in our Pufferpedia, under the Learn tab.

There are also several folks who have posted here in the past who have kept the Abei--I'm sure if you did a Search, you'd find those.

You have to upload your pics to a place like www.photobucket.com & link them to here. Please resize them 1st!
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
VaeK
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: 2 Abei puffers (male and female couple! ) and many many babies!
Location (country): United stated

Post by VaeK »

FINALLY! I get to show off my beautiful Tetraodon Abei Puffer Couple!
Mr & Mrs Puff! (I call them mama and daddy puff) They are watching the clam I originally bought as food but its so cute! I help it hide haha

Beautiful mating colors!
Daddy is the lil one in the front, trying to keep mama under the little cave so she can lay eggs for him!

Dinner time! They are chasing baby brine shrimp I hatched for them! These lil ones are from the first time they mated! First successful breeding for me too! I took them early because I couldn't find much information on these puffers and breeding them in captivity seems to be unheard of so to be safe I took them. ..there were many, 3 made it!

Almost 3 month after they hatched!

I can't get them to stop breeding since the first time! This is the 3rd time! (Second time they had issues since mama is so big, the slate wasn't big enough...well daddy likes to rub all over mama during mating and he kept moving her over and over and the eggs fell all over!
These are our new ones! A few days ago, you can see the eyes and lil mouth! This is one week after they were laid!

Earlier this morning, the eyes are darker and you can see them starting to develope!

A few hours later, you can see they are fully developed on the egg!
Every now and again they spaz as they try to get out!

Breaking out!

Thank you so much for all the advice I've gotten from when I very randomly post on here! I hope I can help someone else that needs it! I had so much trouble finding out much on these and breeding being so rare, especially with me not even being close to an expert! I even came here but there just isn't much info out there! So hopefully this helps! Its an awesome experience having them and watching them! Keeping my fingers crossed that I have many many babies hatch and make it to adult hood!
Thanks for letting me share this, hope you all enjoyed it! ...and sorry the pictures were so big... I'm on my cell and this post has literally taken me over an hr! :)
GSP32
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: Fahaka Puffer
Location (country): Canada

Post by GSP32 »

that is absolutely amazing, love the mating colors... thanks for sharing :)
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Thank you so much for keeping such a great photo record of this! Love the mating colors & the lil egg-puffs are adorable!
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

JRC3
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: F8(55g)
F8 (46g)
4-DP(29g)
Location (country): U.S.

Post by JRC3 »

I always love to see the eyes in eggs, way more satisfying than livebearers. Has to be more gratifying with puffs. Awesome.

Best of luck with them making it.
There are many knowledgeable fish keepers on this forum willing to help and give great advice...The advice is free; What you choose to do with it gives it value.
El Scorpio
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: none, at the moment...
Location (country): Louisville, KY.

Post by El Scorpio »

Pufferpunk scores an extra 10 points for using the word 'egg-puffs' :giggle:

Very cool and educational. Thanks for posting pics - I'm sure many of us have never seen puffer eggs before, myself included.

As far as what do do with the kids, I'd reach out to LFS' first. Abei's aren't the most common puffer in circulation, so surely someone would be interested in stocking some. You could also try craigslist and Aquabid.
Good luck on this spawn; keep us up to date and don't be such a stranger!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Only 10 points? :(

El Scorpio
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: none, at the moment...
Location (country): Louisville, KY.

Post by El Scorpio »

10 points is the maximum amount I can award. Sorry. :(
sgtmyers88
My Puffers: Green Spotted Puffers
Location (country): USA

Post by sgtmyers88 »

Awesome
WARNING: Puffers are mischievous little blimps with enchanting powers. You may not be content with having just one.
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

Great shots! And a great accomplishment!

Do you have info on your water and tank conditions under which the fish bred? All data, any data available is good thing for future trials by others...
Where's the fish? - Neptune
dmond31
Dwarf Puffer

Post by dmond31 »

are you selling them?
Stratters
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Piggy, a Hairy Puffer
Location (country): Louth, England

Post by Stratters »

OMG @ eggpuffs.

Am dying of cute
Never trust big puffers. The fingers you save may be your own. RTR
hadla
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: 2 gsps and a big Stars and stripes
Location (country): California

Post by hadla »

OMGOMGOMG *is almost hyperventilating* YOURE IN NEW ORLEANS!!!!! IM FROM THIBODAUX! XD woo ok calming down... XD LOVE IT! if only I was still in Louisiana :P
Never trust big puffers. The fingers you save may be your own. -RTR
hadla
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: 2 gsps and a big Stars and stripes
Location (country): California

Post by hadla »

El Scorpio wrote:10 points is the maximum amount I can award. Sorry. :(
rotflmao... you get 13 from me!
Never trust big puffers. The fingers you save may be your own. -RTR