Help! I need advice, T. Abei Puffer laid eggs!!!

Are your puffers feeling a little naughty & lil ones are the result? Post your findings here!
VaeK
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: 2 Abei puffers (male and female couple! ) and many many babies!
Location (country): United stated

Help! I need advice, T. Abei Puffer laid eggs!!!

Post by VaeK »

Hi, I've posted here In the past but had to make a new account. Anyhow, I have 2 T. Abei (red spotted puffers, although the spot is orange) and I first bought a full grown one and about 2 weeks later I bought a younger one around half the size of the other one. They did awesome in a 55gal. tank together! Well I've had them for about a yr now and a few weeks ago I noticed they were a completely different color and hiding under rocks, also blowing sand from the bottom clearing space. They would swim around each other rubbing bodies together. They did this for a while, stopped and started again. They both stayed under the rock cave all dark brown with almost white spots. Then I noticed the older bigger puffer looked like she had a big meal (she didn't). I knew that puffer was an expecting mama! The two stayed together until last night. I noticed marks on the mama, she wasn't by the cave and had no belly. Proud papa is still dark brown, hovering over a bunch of clear eggs!! I've read the males will take care of the eggs. That's all I can find on abei puffer breeding! I've had experiences with eggs and parents and even after caring for them, they eat them! This is usually in a community tank so I don't know how thia works with just the parents in there. The male does NOT want the mom near them and he will not move from where they are. I've put food and to get his attention i put it by the glass and he ramed into the glass but I was able to drop it close enough so he can eat and he did. I really need advise on if there are any procautions I need to take, like separating both parents fromthe eggs? is the father going to eat the eggs? What temperature should my water be? And what to expect? how long till they hatch or whatever, are they fertalized before laid? Will any turn a different color if they are dead? Pleasen anyinfo would be appreciated!
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Re: Help! I need advice, T. Abei Puffer laid eggs!!!

Post by RTR »

WOW!!!! Congratulations! Getting a spawn at all is news! Keep good notes and if possible get pictures. It might be safest to put in a divider IF it can be done without upsetting the male. The fry are likely to need infusoria as first food for the first week or two at least, maybe longer, which may be tricky to provide.

Do you have spare tank(s) and any Java Moss?

Make notes on the water parameters, feeding, upkeep, temperatures, etc. to share with us later.
Where's the fish? - Neptune
VaeK
Puffer Fry

Re: Help! I need advice, T. Abei Puffer laid eggs!!!

Post by VaeK »

I've taken the eggs out, I did have to put a divider because mama was not allowed near the eggs and was getting attacked. So since then I've been keeping a air stone in a separate tank but I've decided after I got the tank back in order to put the remaining eggs in a breeder box or whatever its called (not a net) and they are in the tank with mom and dad but protected from either parent or the filter. ... I figure the water quality is better as well as temperature and circulation. Id post pictures but I don't know how...
VaeK
Puffer Fry

**UPDATE**: Help! I need advice, T. Abei Puffer laid eggs!!

Post by VaeK »

**UPDATE** 6 eggs left and you can see eyes! Also the parents just laid another batch!