Porcupine Puffer

Are your puffers feeling a little naughty & lil ones are the result? Post your findings here!
Aquariuman
Puffer Fry
Location (country): USA

Porcupine Puffer

Post by Aquariuman »

Well, I got my dad a pp and it didn't make it. :( I feel guilty. Don't know why anymore but just wanted to ask a question about these fish. How many could I put in a 125 gallon? I am planning on setting my tank up and breeding them to try to help take the strain off the wild population. I also need to get this burden off my chest. I only had that puffer for 72hrs and I almost quit the hobby when I found out it had died, even though fish are all I have to live for. I MUST breed these awesome fish. If you are going to try and dissuade me, DON'T! I WILL NOT LISTEN TO YOU! So, any tips on how to breed the pp?
trekenk
Fahaka Puffer

Re: Porcupine Puffer

Post by trekenk »

They haven't been successfully bred in captivity yet, even by the most experince fish keepers. Not trying to dissuade you but these are the facts. Do you know what happened to your guy. Was the tank cycled? Only one for a 125 gallon even in a tank twice that size two of them most likely would not play nice with both ending up dead.
sgtmyers88
My Puffers: Green Spotted Puffers
Location (country): USA

Post by sgtmyers88 »

I am sorry for your loss. But yes very few puffers have been successfuly bred in captivity. If you wanna try your hand in breeding puffers I would suggest doing research in Dwarf Puffers. They have been successfully bred in captivity and despite their tiny size they are big on personality.
WARNING: Puffers are mischievous little blimps with enchanting powers. You may not be content with having just one.
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

Yes you would need a huge tank to attempt to breed them, do not blame yourself for the demise of this fish, they are wild caught and often stressed and can be riddled with parasites/ diseases when we get our hands on them. Have a good think before you try this, the last thing you need is to jump straight in, make a mistake and end up with dead puffer(s) by trying to help.
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly