Dwarf Puffers Spawning

Are your puffers feeling a little naughty & lil ones are the result? Post your findings here!
borgey
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: 1 Tetraodon biocellatus, 3 Colomesus asellus, 4 Carinotetraodon travancoricus
Location (country): U.S.A

Dwarf Puffers Spawning

Post by borgey »

Hello everyone, I feel like I have not posted on here in such a long time. Well I have a 30 gallon tank with 4 Dwarf Puffers in it (3 females and 1 male). This evening I have noticed that one of the females and the male have paired up. The male follows the female and looks like he is almost "kissing" the back of her. I've noticed the strip on his belly has gotten VERY dark and when he follows her it's in kind of short little bursts I guess you could say. They also seem like sometimes they're swimming with their nose pointed up towards the top of the tank (best way I can explain it). Well after watching them for about a hour or so I finally saw the female and male go into a spot almost underneath the driftwood. They stayed there for about 5-10 seconds and it looked like sand was kicking up. I am thinking this is the two actually spawning? I have also noticed that the male is now VERY aggressive towards the females when he was NEVER like this before. I have absolutely no experience with breeding Puffers so I need as much help as possible with this. The only extra tank I have is a 10 gallon setup I used to use for a QT tank a year or so ago. I don't have no sponge filter or anything setup in my other tank that I could throw into a new tank for the fry either. What should I do? I want to make sure the fry survive and I will do whatever it takes. Any help and tips on this would be greatly appreciated. I am pretty worried about how aggressive the male is acting towards the females now. He is just basically circling around this one piece of driftwood patrolling it almost.
sarahsedaii
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Cookeville, TN

Re: Dwarf Puffers Spawning

Post by sarahsedaii »

Babies! I cannot be of any help since I can't even seem to get my Molly to have babies.... but I wish you the best of luck!
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

I would advise getting the 10 set up bare bottom with a bubbler. Be prepared for 2 x daily waterchanges. Get some liquifry to feed them. When water changing be careful. Good luck
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
RVS
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Currently:
2 T. Nigroviridis
20 C. Travancoricus.
Also Kept:
M. Abei
Other BF:
A hundred of Brackish P. Velifera & P. sphenops.
Pure Parambassis Ranga.
Location (country): Mexico lindo y querido!

Post by RVS »

Well a friend of mine spawn some DP and this is the info he give me about the parameters:

Light has been decreased to 1 12W T5 for a 40Lt tank with some Indian almond leaves floating.
Lots of Java moss & live Daphnia.
Sponge filter.
ph: 7
gh: 6
kh: 4
T: 25C for 3 days, then do a 20% slow water change, decrease temperature to 23ºC for one day, then rise it to 25ºC again... spawning will start after doing this (just like with cory cats)...
¿did your puffs already spawn? they lay the eggs on the plants....

This is what he told me to do, I'm waiting for some Dp to arrive next mont...I hope it work for you, but lets wait for some more info.
Let there be light, and lit up the days... Let there be puffers, and they swam around the world...
PuffGenesis, 1, 1.
borgey
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: 1 Tetraodon biocellatus, 3 Colomesus asellus, 4 Carinotetraodon travancoricus

Post by borgey »

bertie 83 wrote:I would advise getting the 10 set up bare bottom with a bubbler. Be prepared for 2 x daily waterchanges. Get some liquifry to feed them. When water changing be careful. Good luck
What do you think I should do about a filter though? I have no sponge filter setup in my tank right now to transfer over.

Yeah I'm pretty sure I saw them spawn under a piece of driftwood. I am not 100% on that though
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo

Post by bertie 83 »

Unfiltered is fine to start with if you do at least 2x 30% daily. Put a internal filter in your established tank with a little media from your established filter, after 2 weeks or so you can put it in the fry tank in a breeding box( net type) after this you will also need to up water changes on established tank as you have taken some of the bacteria needed to sustain that tank. From here as many small partials on the rearing tank as you can manage balancing temp etc. Keep the water level low in the fry tank to start and feed often to reduce starvation of too many. But keep params in check and more waterchanges may be necessary. Best of luck
bertie 83
Non puffer
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo

Post by bertie 83 »

Just to add this is what I did with my ram cichlids, I am certain it will be fine for dps also lol and as a side note make sure the breeder net enclosure for the filter is large as baby fish are not great swimmers. I added fine material mesh held in place so no little ones got sucked in, I also aimed the outlet up so they weren't getting pushed around. Just little considerations
borgey
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by borgey »

Thank you for all the great tips. I am going to seed a filter with some media from my 30 gallon and get that started tomorrow. I figure I will be doing around 4-5 partials a day (can't really do much more since I am in college full time plus working part time). If more need to be done I will figure out some way of making it work though. I should keep the temp of the fry tank the same as adult DPs correct? I think I am pretty well prepared for the task. Well it looks like it's time to start reading as much as I can about DP fry.
bertie 83
Non puffer
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo

Post by bertie 83 »

Yea match the temperature. Good luck