Attempting to breed Tetradon Lineatus

Are your puffers feeling a little naughty & lil ones are the result? Post your findings here!
jus85411
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: none currently :(
Location (country): USA

Re: Attempting to breed Tetradon Lineatus

Post by jus85411 »

me doubting that is just because of the conditions... 8 in a 240? "the situation is for spawning purposes" so are they kept separate otherwise? "these guys constantly spawn and he simply siphons the fry out" that points to me that they are in these conditions for an extended period of time. now unless he has a constant out and in current of water, in a sense(of water quality) of being in a river/lake, the parameters would be off the wall if they are indeed cared for properly and full grown. so i feel that there is very little chance this happened/could happen. like this thread: viewtopic.php?f=56&t=25414 i do doubt a lot of things about the post, but at the same time i still am open to get any knowledge this person is willing to transfer and possibly prove me wrong for doubting. but the fact that they will only link it to emails leaves me a little more skeptical. they always say not to give your email addy out open in a forum and that also applies with me to people who arent long time members or very active. im not too long term yet, but in 13 months i have 680(now 681) posts so thats pretty active lol. i would happily give my email address to PP, xray, you RTR, flutter, JP and a few others not in this thread but thats just because they are active and been around here just as long, if not longer than me. if its not something that can be posted in the open then im not really interested... sorry :(
Flutter
Former Staff Member
Location (country): Canada

Post by Flutter »

Time to start thinking of bad things I can do with personal emails :evil:

My guess is that the 240 is a typo especially since the article seems to suggest that a lot of space is key. Hopefully the poster can clear that up for us :) I will try and find the article but so far I haven't had any luck.

ETA: Couldn't find it.
It is absurd to talk of one animal being higher than another. We consider those, when the cerebral structure/intellectual faculties most developed, as highest. A bee doubtless would when the instincts were.
Charles Darwin
J-P
Former Staff Member
Location (country): Japan

Post by J-P »

Well, private messaging an e-mail addie is at your own risk. Posting it in a public forum for bots, crawlers and the world to read is simply foolish ;)

I wonder if he uses some type of overflow system and separate tanks prior to breeding. That would allow them to "smell" each other and kind of know when the other is ready to spawn.
if you follow me, you avoid stepping in the crap that I just did...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZR55G ... pqlgec1A2Q
HGI
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): Nanaimo Vancouver Island

Post by HGI »

Wonder if it's possible to force spawn them, like we can do with salmon... Squeeze the eggs out and get the man juice from a male, mix and wait.
Homer
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: 200G - 1X Fahaka Puffer
60G - Planted Tank (Panda Loaches / Celestial Pearl Danios / Clown Killi / CRS / Needle Nose Pike)
50G - Planted Tank (CRS only tank)
Location (country): Hong Kong

Post by Homer »

If some one has worked out a way to breed large puffers, especially things such as fahakas that would be great news.. then maybe we can try and get some cross rivers into the market...
Sleep is the cousin of Death...
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

Physical intervention is sometimes used, but may cause physical damage to the donor fish, even death.

Hormonal injections are more common, and are used in some commercial breeding operations. They do carry some risks.

On the tank size, we have no info on the tank operation and we seem to all be assuming (dangerous in itself) that the tank operation is conventional, a semi-closed system with periodic water partials and filter cleaning. That would be IME a highly unlikely technique for maintaining sufficiently high water quality to get or keep fish in spawning condition. To me it would seem more likely that an automated flow-through system is employed, or if manually done (as in many commercial operations), 100 to 200% partials would performed daily at least. That is not uncommon for Angelfish and discus breeders. The fry just need to be worth the water and other handling costs. for it to be feasible and practical. If the article work - as it appears - is a feasibility trial, then the economics are less important. Manual labor can be used find the handling level needed, automation would be implemented after the required parameters were known. You cannot automate until you know the requirements. We don't know those yet. Perhaps he has more info than we do. If he is considering commercializing the practice, it would be stupid of him to give away his findings.

Experimental data is only published when there is no plan to commercialize the product. If it is planned or even hoped to commercialize, you do not publish the data.

Pheromones are significant for many fish in both growth and mating and breeding. Water handling and treatment has a major impact on phereomones.
Where's the fish? - Neptune
Reaperpilot2014
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 150g - 1 Fahaka Puffer "Ramses" (The Pharaoh)
55g - 3 SA Puffers "Larry, Curly, * Moe"
30g - 1 GSP "Demon"
15g - 1 C. Irrubesco "Raoden"
29g - 1 Figure 8 - Looking for good name ideas...
29g - Ramshorn, Marmorkreb, Cherry & Ghost Shrimp Breeder Tank
10 wonderful years with puffers!
Location (country): USA

Post by Reaperpilot2014 »

I know this thread is several months old, but just wanted to let you know that I sent an email to Alex from one of my "taken-over-by-junk-mail" accounts to ask if getting the article is still a possibility. The email didn't bounce back, so I'm hopeful. It may be in PDF form and therefore a little difficult to just post, although I guess I am leaving out attachments. Anyway, I'll keep you posted if anyone is still interested. I can't figure why his article is so hard to find. Dmitry Muratov is the editor-in-chief of a very influential newspaper in Russia so it doesn't make sense to me that it would just disappear.
It's a crayfish! It's a snail! It's a... ah who cares?
Nom nom nom!...

Tank: 4 liter custom-shaped sphere
Contents: 1 Brainfish
Ph: 7.4
Ammonia, nitrites, nitrates: ?
Problem: Cloudy/muddy water
Can you help me?