Pappa got a brand new pignose

Are your puffers feeling a little naughty & lil ones are the result? Post your findings here!
Bogwoodbruce
On Probation
My Puffers: 1x T. Mbu (Dwaine)

Pappa got a brand new pignose

Post by Bogwoodbruce »

This is a little article my boss wrote, he bred suvatti and we sold the young instore - Credit Lindsey harrison - Fish INC - http://www.cichlidmania.net
ladies and gentlemen may we introduce the pignose puffer, tetraodon sauvati.
above is our 4year old female- half of the first breeding pair in the U.K.
and heres big boy- he's a great dad although a little grumpy at times.pignose puffers are realitivly new on the fishkeeping front; they were officially described in 1985 and due to thier distribution in the mekong basin they have only been available rarely.we were lucky enough to obtain a pair about 3 years ago and within a short space of time we were lucky enough to breed them. during courtship the colour pattern reverse's and they go light with dark circles, at this time they spend a lot of time puffed up !
eggs are laid in a cave or in our case a black plastic tube and generally hatch in 3-4 days, the "swarm" of youngsters are mobile and ready to play from that moment on. feeding the youngsters is easy enough you just need tanks full of baby brineshrimp and i do mean tanks full; they need feedng 6-8 times a day.
adults can be left with the young for up to 6 weeks and should then be moved as mum and dad will be
ready to spawn again. maintance is easy , they are freshwater and eat prawns , bloodworm, cockles etc
males reach 5" females up to 4". great fun- don't keep with other fish!! -they are food.
Bogwoodbruce
On Probation
My Puffers: 1x T. Mbu (Dwaine)

Re: Pappa got a brand new pignose

Post by Bogwoodbruce »

I posted this in the wrong section could a mod please move. thanks :)