suvattii breeding

Are your puffers feeling a little naughty & lil ones are the result? Post your findings here!
digger
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Fahaka

suvattii breeding

Post by digger »

I have a opportunity to get about 7 suvattii's, I have seen the breeding videos on these and am very interested. I've bred many cichlids but this is a whole other ball game. I know you can not sex them till a female lays eggs. I'm very curious as to the step by step process to get pairs. Would I start by putting 2 or 3 in a 55 gal and another 2 or three in my 60? Who has done this before and what worked. Thank you
Troender
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: 1x GSP (Bolla), 1x m. something. Bought as a leiurus, maybe a turgidus (Tiger), 1x c. irrubesco (Tott(a) aka Houdini) 1x c. salivator (Jack the Ripper), 1x m. cochinchinensis (Hufflepuff - R.I.P.), 2x c. lorteti (Tommy and Tigern = Calvin and Hubbes), 1x m. suvatti (Koseklumpen), 1x m. palembangensis (Dragonfly), 2x t. biocellatus (Koken and Fiken).

Re: suvattii breeding

Post by Troender »

Here is an article about breeding suvattiis.
Inger Anne
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Just think how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are even stupider! -George Carlin

digger
Puffer Fry

Post by digger »

thank you very informative. I am not sure if I will get all 7 but I am interested.
Bogwoodbruce
On Probation
My Puffers: 1x T. Mbu (Dwaine)

Post by Bogwoodbruce »

My bosses have done it, not a lot of info around really although, the article here is very good :)
digger
Puffer Fry

Post by digger »

This is easily the most information I have seen. I think I am going to try this.
yunachin
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: 1x A. Meleagris (Golden)
2x Tetraodon nigroviridis
1x Tetraodon lineatus
1x A. hispidus
2x Takifugu Ocellatus
9x Tetraodon biocellatus
1x Canthigaster solandri
1x Diodon Holocanthus
2x A. nigropunctatus
1x Tetraodon miurus
1x Irrubesco
Location (country): USA

Post by yunachin »

I am excited to see what happens. :)
E.Ridgeway
Bogwoodbruce
On Probation

Post by Bogwoodbruce »

To be honest id keep them all in one tank, feed well and look after them for a few months and see what happens. Puffers are similar to cichlids in the sense that they like to naturallly pair themselves off rather than doing it for them.
digger
Puffer Fry

Post by digger »

Bogwoodbruce wrote:To be honest id keep them all in one tank, feed well and look after them for a few months and see what happens. Puffers are similar to cichlids in the sense that they like to naturallly pair themselves off rather than doing it for them.

In that case what would you say a 100 gallon would do? The only problem with that is moving fish around now than later once I get a pair or 2 I would probably sell the remaining.
Bogwoodbruce
On Probation

Post by Bogwoodbruce »

digger wrote:
Bogwoodbruce wrote:To be honest id keep them all in one tank, feed well and look after them for a few months and see what happens. Puffers are similar to cichlids in the sense that they like to naturallly pair themselves off rather than doing it for them.

In that case what would you say a 100 gallon would do? The only problem with that is moving fish around now than later once I get a pair or 2 I would probably sell the remaining.
I 100gal would be plenty, they are very inacitve fish :) We kept 13-15 together in smaller tanks at work for a long time in sale tanks
digger
Puffer Fry

Post by digger »

I'd hate to have to move the fish in the 100 and then back that is why I was thinking of the 55 and 60. I'm trying to keep this as simple as possiblem When you say you have had them in smaller tanks at work you had it connected to all the other tanks correct? I imagine 5,6 suvattiis in a 55 or 60 or even a 100 would be quite an excessive bio load. Just trying to get more ideas on this.
Bogwoodbruce
On Probation

Post by Bogwoodbruce »

flash.dan
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: 8 years of FW puffer care!
currently have 1x mbu
Bubba 17" gentle giant... loves a belly tickle.
2x Suvatti Pair
1x Carinotetraodon borneensis

Post by flash.dan »

you can sex mature suvattis...... the only way to do so is put them in with each other females will turn white as a submissive pose to males.... 2 males will just fight
NoFace
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Fahaka, 12 Dwarf Puffers, 4 Sap.

Post by NoFace »

Two females will also fight, we once had one male with two females and the females where always sparring while the male just just watched. From what I have seen over the past 2 years is that the female that chooses the male on how well he can guard his territory, if the male is successful she will move in with him for a few days, as soon as the female spawns she makes a quick exit out of site, otherwise the male will attack. The male will now guard the eggs with his life advancing for anything that comes close including the female and my hand lol. I have over the past few months created a tank set-up where I could prove my theory, I believe this is because in the wild once the female has spawned she will then look for another male to breed with, and so on. Currently I have some fry in a tank :)
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

This is exactly why I would rather not see multible lurkers living long-term in a single tank.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
NoFace
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Fahaka, 12 Dwarf Puffers, 4 Sap.

Post by NoFace »

I have found keeping more than 3 in a stock take is fine for a while if shellter is provided for each one so they dont have to see each other, but the more they start to settle down the more fights will arise, the males will always take the best spots, if a female is in a spot where a male wants to go he will move in a push the female out, where as females will take what ever spot they can. the best way to find a male and a female in a stock tank, is when you see 2 puffers sat with each other, the male will tend to make is dominace known to the female by nudging them with there nose or small bites to them, where the female in this instance will show her belly to him ( almost like rolling over like a dog) or by moving her face away from him. I can also tell you that i can sex suvattiis by just looking at them, I am thinking about posting a topic on the matter :)