suvattii breeding

Are your puffers feeling a little naughty & lil ones are the result? Post your findings here!
flash.dan
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: 8 years of FW puffer care!
currently have 1x mbu
Bubba 17" gentle giant... loves a belly tickle.
2x Suvatti Pair
1x Carinotetraodon borneensis

Re: suvattii breeding

Post by flash.dan »

NoFace wrote:I have found keeping more than 3 in a stock take is fine for a while if shellter is provided for each one so they dont have to see each other, but the more they start to settle down the more fights will arise, the males will always take the best spots, if a female is in a spot where a male wants to go he will move in a push the female out, where as females will take what ever spot they can. the best way to find a male and a female in a stock tank, is when you see 2 puffers sat with each other, the male will tend to make is dominace known to the female by nudging them with there nose or small bites to them, where the female in this instance will show her belly to him ( almost like rolling over like a dog) or by moving her face away from him. I can also tell you that i can sex suvattiis by just looking at them, I am thinking about posting a topic on the matter :)

I think generally females are larger and tend not to have the brown spots on there side. there are distinct differences i have noticed with some suvs which i can only compare to mine. also to note the male will take the best spot/s females usually pick a spot on the furthest she can get from the male. with PP's remark its always a good idea to use dividers i think 50-70% of the time. although my pair have been together so long i havnt had to do this for some months now only when they breed which usually results in a few bites on her back but generally they will get along by avoiding each other at all costs.