Selling bred fish

Are your puffers feeling a little naughty & lil ones are the result? Post your findings here!
alexk3303
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: 25g saltwater with 3 percula clownfish and a falco hawkfish. Currently has 1 large turbo snail with more invertabrates to come.
Location (country): Michigan, USA

Selling bred fish

Post by alexk3303 »

Wasn't quite sure where to put this :)
If I were to breed some c. Tranvicorius puffers, should I be able to sell some of the fry (2 or so monthes old) to my local chain fish store, or would I be better off with craigslist or something like that? Also any idea on how I would go about selling the fish to a store?
Bogwoodbruce
On Probation
My Puffers: 1x T. Mbu (Dwaine)

Re: Selling bred fish

Post by Bogwoodbruce »

I would personnally try both, depending on how many you have, as a shop wont want to take them all maybe 20-30, you will get a little more or maybe the same as what the fish costs to them at trade, in either cash or store credit (usually credit)/ But you maybe able to get more money through craigslist or another advertising site where you can ask your own price etc...
Myaj
Tech Team
My Puffers: Bubba, turgidus
Paris, lined burrfish

Post by Myaj »

First check with your local stores. Many of them are under contract with their suppliers that they can not buy from anyone else. Most "good" stores that actually know what they are doing are thrilled to get locally bred fish (more healthy and already acclimated to local water conditions), but many time they won't give you cash, you'll get store credit (not necessarily a bad thing).

If you are willing to learn about shipping fish, you can always try something like Aquabid, but that's really only useful for rare fish.. dwarf puffers can be difficult to find but not THAT hard to find. Shipping isn't difficult but its expensive, so people are usually only willing to spend the $$ on it if they really and truely can't find the fish anywhere else.

The third option is to check around your area for a local fish club. Often times they'll have auctions a couple times a year, or have a mailing list for members to let each other know what they've bred and have available. Some even have programs where you get points for breeding certain species and can earn prizes/awards. Always a good idea to try to find local groups, though of course, puffers are still kind of an "oddball" fish.. the focus is almost always on cichlids, discus and catfish, with all other species just sort of considered "extras".
alexk3303
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: 25g saltwater with 3 percula clownfish and a falco hawkfish. Currently has 1 large turbo snail with more invertabrates to come.

Post by alexk3303 »

Ok thanks, I would be ok with store credit. Do you know about finding local groups? I love in Grand Rapids, MI if that helps.
Myaj
Tech Team
Paris, lined burrfish

Post by Myaj »

Oh good for you! There's a really good fish club right in your area, at least there was years back when I lived in KZoo. There's also a good store over in KZoo too.. I think the Plainview exit off 131, right before you get to Kzoo and I94? Its been years and years since I've been in the area though.

Let me see if I can find the club's website quick... I know their name was SWMAS or something (south western michigan aquarium society). Yep! Here you go:

http://www.swmas.org/

I'd go check them out.. meet some other poeple with MTS if nothing else ;) Local clubs like this are also an awesome source for live plants.
alexk3303
Dwarf Puffer

Post by alexk3303 »

Thanks! I think I know what fish store you're talking about, ViPets. I know they have a plainfield branch at least. But I'll probably end up going to their branch on Division because its closer. I will definitely check out that website. Thanks!
Myaj
Tech Team
Paris, lined burrfish

Post by Myaj »

Well, thats not what it was called but it was a while ago.. this was a fish only store, privately owned, not a chain. At least I think.. lol

Oh wait.. Plainview, Plainwell, maybe? Ack, I need a map, I moved away from MI more than 5 years ago and tried to block out the whole experience ;)

Okay, its Plainwell/Ostemo that I'm thinking of... I think, looking at the map is just not ringing any bells unfortunately. All I remember for sure is if you went north out of Kzoo on 131, it was the first exit, go west, and there was this big fish store right next to a little bakery/family resturaunt and that place had THE best ever french silk pie.. one of these days I'll make the 4 hour drive back there just for that pie!

Oh I don't know, just ignore me. It might be MV Pets that I"m thinking of... or the place might not even be there anymore!