Large GSP commercial breeding! Must read!

Are your puffers feeling a little naughty & lil ones are the result? Post your findings here!
define999
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: 1 GSP
3 mono's
Location (country): USA

Re: Large GSP commercial breeding! Must read!

Post by define999 »

I think that's the reason so many of us have high hopes of breeding them in captivity, so they don't have to be yanked out of their natural habitats.
exactly, every time I look at my Gaby, I feel a little guilty for possibly contributing to thier demise in the wild.... Fish like other things can be a unsustainable resource, unless captive breeding is succesfull. When I found this article, I knew you guys would be excited! :shock: I did find this interesting....
One basic study involves adding a reporter gene — such as the gene that produces green fluorescent protein — to a specific gene sequence in a developing puffer
I have noticed an almost florecent spot on the upper head of my puffer.... shes had this almost bright glowing green spot for a long time... it didnt look like ich or another other kind of disease... I know this is another topic and I will post pics soon in another thread.....
A site dedicated to my comic book collection here......
http://comicbookcollection.webs.com/
zombiefetus
Fahaka Puffer
Location (country): Illinois, USA

Post by zombiefetus »

I'm really torn on this. On one hand, it's amazingly cool that they're doing this and I'm so excited to hear about the process.
But it's also going to be adding so many Green Spotted Puffers to the pet industry that really aren't needed, hopefully it will dramatically cut down on those being taken from the wild. I guess it depends on how many they plan on breeding. I don't know.
define999 wrote:
One basic study involves adding a reporter gene — such as the gene that produces green fluorescent protein — to a specific gene sequence in a developing puffer
I have noticed an almost florecent spot on the upper head of my puffer.... shes had this almost bright glowing green spot for a long time... it didnt look like ich or another other kind of disease... I know this is another topic and I will post pics soon in another thread.....
The green spot on the head is pretty common. I'm not sure if all GSPs have it, but I've seen a lot with it.
(^oops, domain expired! Current url is: http://greenspottedpuffer.webs.com)
Myaj
Tech Team
My Puffers: Bubba, turgidus
Paris, lined burrfish

Post by Myaj »

LOL yes the green patch on the head is pretty much normal on a happy, healthy GSP.
define999
Dwarf Puffer
3 mono's

Post by define999 »

The green spot on the head is pretty common. I'm not sure if all GSPs have it, but I've seen a lot with it.
cool... I just did a search on the forum for "bright green patch" and came up with a few hits... I guess it can be a sign of contentment? Anyway, im not as worried as I was.... okay im done hijacking my own thread!! :lol: So back to the subject, yea I understand your concern zombiefetus.... the market could be flooded with many, many cheap GSP's. Which will in turn mean many, many dead GSP's! But whats worse? The eventual scarceity in the wild? Id much rather see comercialy bred GSP's flood the market, and the price dropped so as to make it financialy less viable for the profit driven fish collectors of Asia that could care less about the fish they are collecting. If this means that the percentage of tank breed GSP sales far outweigh the sale of wild caught ones, I am for this. And hopefully the wild populations will get a needed breather........
define999
Dwarf Puffer
3 mono's

Post by define999 »

Myaj wrote:LOL yes the green patch on the head is pretty much normal on a happy, healthy GSP.
Thanks Myaj! Im much less worried now... the damn thing practicaly glows! :lol:
pinkfloydpuffer
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: C. travancoricus: Kensington

Post by pinkfloydpuffer »

define999 wrote:
Myaj wrote:LOL yes the green patch on the head is pretty much normal on a happy, healthy GSP.
Thanks Myaj! Im much less worried now... the damn thing practicaly glows! :lol:
Hehehe, my GSPs are like that too :D
80 gal brackish-3 Green spotted puffers
20 gal planted freshwater- dwarf puffers, south american puffer, ghost shrimps
10 gal planted freshwater-female crowntail bettas, L-187b Thomasi pleco, trilineatus cories
10 gal freshwater divided-crowntail betta, male and female halfmoon dragon bettas
5 gal freshwater-red cherry shrimps
Jase
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: RIP Hootey :(

Post by Jase »

I sent Craig Watson an e-mail about it with a couple of your questions and directed him towards TPF. I know the chances of him joining up and discussing it are slim, but I figured it wouldn't hurt. :)
-Jase
edmlfc1 wrote:A house without a puffer is not a home. :D
zombiefetus
Fahaka Puffer

Post by zombiefetus »

Corvus wrote: The idea of hermaphrodites came, because males and females of T. nigroviridis apparently cannot be told apart by their DNA (have discussed that in another post). Hermaphrodism would be one explanation for this matter.
Where is this post? I just tried finding it and I couldn't seem to locate it, would love to read it.
Corvus
Mentor

Post by Corvus »

I believe it was here... viewtopic.php?f=40&t=4757&p=135985

The scientific article of no sexing by DNA possible is: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/jour ... 1&SRETRY=0
Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Give a fish a man, and he'll eat for weeks.
zombiefetus
Fahaka Puffer

Post by zombiefetus »

Jase
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: RIP Hootey :(

Post by Jase »

Craig Watson, Director of the Tropical Aquaculture Laboratory, wrote me back with answers to a few of our questions:
We have a paper in review with Marine Genomics outlining reproduction, but here are the highlights:

They are marine spawners (we are using 33ppt). The eggs are 0.5 mm in diameter, pale yellow, and become adhesive within minutes after hitting the water. At 78 degrees F, they hatch in about 72 hours. The fry do not eat for the first three days, and on day 4 start eating rotifers. On day 4 we started feeding artemia. After a few weeks we ween them onto flake food.

They are very fecund, having 20% of their body weight in eggs. A 10 gram female will produce over 7,000 eggs.

The females are fairly obvious when gravid as they are much fatter than the males, but we have gotten sperm out of what we thought were "females" (they were fat males). I recommend taking them off feed for a few days before trying to sex them as food in their bellies can be easily confused with eggs.

We attempted natural spawning for over a year, and then standard induced spawning techniques using injections, all to no avail. We developed a new technique (which we will also be publishing) we are calling "ovarian lavage" whereby we flood the ovaries with HCG, a spawning aid, and the females are ovulating ~36 hours later. We are then expressing the eggs and sperm into a bowl, adding seawater to trigger the sperm, and then broadcasting the eggs into aquaria.

We just spawned several of our first generation fish that were 11 months old.

The methods are not suitable for the average hobbyist, but we are working with several experienced producers here in Florida to have them available in commercial quantities in the near future. If anyone succeeds in a natural spawn, I would be interested in hearing about it. I chased freshwater spawning based on some early posts on your forum and some anecdotal info from Maylaysia, but assure you they are marine spawners, as the sperm is esentially nonmotile in fresh, and very active at 33ppt.

Hope this helps.

Craig Watson, Director
Tropical Aquaculture Laboratory
University of Florida
I'm pretty impressed that the tried some ideas from the forum first :D
-Jase
edmlfc1 wrote:A house without a puffer is not a home. :D
Myaj
Tech Team
Paris, lined burrfish

Post by Myaj »

EXCELLENTTTTT!!!!!
pinkfloydpuffer
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: C. travancoricus: Kensington

Post by pinkfloydpuffer »

That is so cool!!!
Maybe now I can convince some people who don't believe me when I say that GSPs can live in full SW *smack*
80 gal brackish-3 Green spotted puffers
20 gal planted freshwater- dwarf puffers, south american puffer, ghost shrimps
10 gal planted freshwater-female crowntail bettas, L-187b Thomasi pleco, trilineatus cories
10 gal freshwater divided-crowntail betta, male and female halfmoon dragon bettas
5 gal freshwater-red cherry shrimps
Nick
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Mine:
GSPs - Shakespeare and Jillybean
F8 - Velvet
My fiance:
DP - Emma Goldman
Narrow Lined Puffer - Ulrike
Location (country): Northeastern USA

Post by Nick »

Marine spawners, VERY interesting. Also explains why young GSP seem to do well in full marine, and why adults do just as well in marine as brackish to some extent.
No matter how magnificent your successes or devastating your failures, the worlds' approximately 5 billion impoverished people could not possibly care less.
Myaj
Tech Team
Paris, lined burrfish

Post by Myaj »

Man, I wonder if RTR is around somewhere seeing this.. he would be thrilled that someone's finally found out a way to do it successfully. I understand the average aquariust wouldn't be able to do what they do with the hormones/lavage, but at least now we know where to start.

How amazing that the sperm is only viable in saltwater. After all these years of people trying to figure it out...