interested in breeding freshwater puffers

Are your puffers feeling a little naughty & lil ones are the result? Post your findings here!
125blackfire
Puffer Fry

interested in breeding freshwater puffers

Post by 125blackfire »

Does anyone have a link or a list of how long it takes freshwater puffers (of all kinds) too breeds? Including how long it takes for them to start mating. I know close too nothing about breeding fish. But am happily too reading many many articles of breeding puffers.
125blackfire
Puffer Fry

Re: interested in breeding freshwater puffers

Post by 125blackfire »

will a 20G tank do good for breeding dwarf puffers? 1 male 2 female. and keep an extra 5G tank for frys and eggs?
plurmaster
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: 1x Fake Ceylon aka SAP=El Guapo 2x DP 2x Irrubesco

Post by plurmaster »

there's not much info on breeding puffers due to the fact is hard to sex them. You can check the pufferpedia on how to sex some of the puffer out there like Irrubesco,Dwarf Puffers and few more. If you wanna breed dwarf puffer is good to keep 1 male and 2 female but for 3 DP's you need 10-15 gal tank with lots of plant. You'll need some moss for them to mate.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Moving to Puffer Breeding section. Look thru this forum for some ideas.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
andreas
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Carinotetraodon travancoricus
Carinotetraodon irrubesco

Post by andreas »

125blackfire wrote:will a 20G tank do good for breeding dwarf puffers? 1 male 2 female. and keep an extra 5G tank for frys and eggs?
Yes, although I would recommend a bigger tank for the adult puffers. Makes it easier for them to get along...
Think about setting up more smaller tanks (or bowls or whatever) for the frys. They turn canibalistic if the size difference permits it.

How we do it:
http://guppy.andreas-sander.net/Kufi_Na ... _engl.html

Martin Damnitz's Page:
http://www.zwergkugelfisch.de/Breeding.html

Good Luck! ;)

Regards,
Andy
mala
Puffer Fry

Post by mala »

I had three DPs in a 10 gal. One day i was doing a water change, and out of habit I check water I'm pouring out very carefully for fry (mostly because of the guppy tank). I didn't see anything and dumped most of the water into the toilet bowl to discard it. Well I notice this tiny moving dot.... I got the turkey baster which I use to move guppy fry, and lo and behold it is a DP fry! I don't know what I was doing right to get a DP fry, or how many others there were that I never found. Point being, its finding the eggs/fry and removing them before the adults eat them that is going to be the real challenge.

The tank was 10gal, gravel substrate. Very heavy on the fake plants.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Yeah, puffer fry are really tiny. One of the hardest part of breeding puffers is feeding the fry.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"